Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 
Pixielator

My Trapdoor Snails' Food

Right now I have my drapdoor snails in their own tank. I have 4 adults and 5 babies (2 of which were born just last night). The adults have their own tank and the babies have their own tank. I feed them iceberg lettuce, but I've noticed that the lettuce seems to fog up the water within a few days and in my adult's tank this white stuff keeps appearing after the snails begin to eat the lettuce, I'm not sure if its comming from the lettuce itself or from the snails after they eat the lettuce. Does anyone know what this white stuff is? And is there something else that I can feed them that won't fog up the water?
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #2 
Sakura8

It's best to remove the lettuce after one day or it starts to decompose and create that white gunk like you're seeing. You can also feed them sinking pellets and flakes as well. Unless they're sick, I'm guessing their poo should be black/brown like other snails.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #3 
Pixielator

Okay, thanks.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #4 
Pixielator

I found out what the white stuff is. Its just thick mucus that the baby snails are encased in when they're born.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Are you sure is not comming from the lettuce? I have a tank full of them - like 45 or more and I have not seen any mucus like stuff. I will say that without a filter the water will smell horrible like 2 days water water changes
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 
Pixielator

I'm sure. I took the lettuce out and have been feeding them cucumber which I replace every day.
I came home to 4 new baby snails in with the adults. At first I could only see three. I also noticed more of the white stuff was at the bottom of the cage. After removing the 3 babies, I took one final look to make sure that was all of them. I saw a perfect sphere of the white stuff, when I looked even closer I saw a dark spot in the center. I opened it up and there was a baby snail inside.