I think I may be obsessed with ammonia levels but I'm not sure if I should be concerned.
I tested my tap water last night after our ammonia levels were around .25-.5ppm after a 100% water change in our tank. Turns out our water supply has ammonia in it. So, some folks on the boards suggested I get Prime conditioner since it also cuts ammonia out of tap water
Even with the Prime, I can't get the ammonia level down to 0 in a fish-less tank (we upgraded to a 5 gallon tank today so I had some time to play with this). I put 5x the amt recommended as per the ER instructions and the ammonia is still around .25ppm. I think I shouldn't put anymore in.
I confirmed that my kit works by putting tap water in the test tube plus a couple of drops of Prime directly in the tube. That came up zero. All the other levels in the water came up normal.
Should I keep trying to get the ammonia levels down? Can you OD on Prime conditioner? Not sure what to do. We've had the fish a week today, and he's so far OK in this water. He seems happy and active and he even made a bubble nest a few days ago.