Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #1 
labloverl

slimy water with film?

I'm trying to cycle my 5 gallon. I'm doing a fishless cycle, and I started with seeded media and gravel from my 10 gallon. There's also gravel in the 5 gallon that I hadn't used for a few years. I did rinse it really well in hot water. After a few days of the tank being set up, a dusty film settled on the water. The filter is an internal one, and I noticed that the waterfall of the water coming out of the filter didn't really break the water well. There was dust in the water from something, and it just circulated right around where the water fell back into the tank. It wasn't pushed down in the water to be sucked into the filter. So the film settled on the water. It became very thick and slimy. I didn't really see the rainbow colors of a protein film. It took 2 paper towels to get it off the water, but even then, there was some left. I can also see it at the top of the filter box. THe water is clean in the rest of the tank. It's not cloudy. Since I got most of the film off the water, large 'bubble nests' have formed in the tank. You would think a betta lived in it. The filter was sitting on the right side of the tank, but when I moved it towards the middle, it seemed to circulate things a little better. Any ideas what this all is from.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you using a water conditioner? What are you using for an ammonia source? Does the tank have a cover? Mine usually gets a slight film on the top but nothing too bad. The bubbles, without seeing them, may be from the filter. Can you get a video?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #3 
labloverl

Water conditioner as in stuff to take the chlorine out? I use tetra aqua safe. Ammonia source is tropical fish flakes, but the film started before I put any food in. The tank does have a cover. Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0yRParzv5A
Old 08-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Hmm, how long has it been set up? Did you use any kind of cleaner on anything you put into the tank? I couldn't tell from the video but do the bubbles seem to be coming from the filter? I don't have that type of filter but I seem to recall seeing someone else posting about bubbles with that same filter. When you add the fish food are you allowing it to free float & for how long? You can actually put it into a mesh bag so there's less mess. I've only done fish IN cycling so I don't know if the food would cause the film or not.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #5 
LynnO

My tank/filter builds bubble nests too - I've researched, and over use of water conditioner seems to be the reason? I use Prime, and don't have an eye-dropper, so I was adding too much. Now I only add a few drops, and the bubbles are much less. I use tap water in gallon jugs, and add the conditioner to it. Then it sits for a few days before I use it for a water change. I have the filter (i think it's the same as yours) set on 1 or 2 notches above the lowest setting. It does produce a small current in the tank. I have a veil tale, so he is not affected by this type of current, but other tail types may be?

Hope this helps!
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #6 
labloverl

The tank has been up for about a week a half, but I didn't start adding food until about 5 days after it was set up. I did use vinegar to try and get the white stains off the glass at the top of the tank. I thought I rinsed good enough though. I haven't seen the bubbles forming, but I am sure they're coming from the filter. However, they didn't start until after I got most of the film off the water. With the food, I am allowing it to float, and last night I could see the rainbow colors of a protein film. It's just odd that the slimy water and thick film happened before I put any food in at all.

I over-use water conditioner all the time! First time I've had bubbles though. But when I do water changes, I use a gallon jug-add a few drops of conditioner-and then put it straight in the tank. Then once all the new water is in, I do a little bit less than what is required for the full amount of the tank. I was told to do this by someone on here.

I think this filter is a tetra whisper 2-10i, but I've never seen any settings on it???