Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #1 
Jully

Question The Annoying Fin Rot

Hello I have come to you guys because I am having a issue, a month or two ago my betta had fin rot after being in a 1/2 divided bowl [Stupid Pet Habitat, didn't have any good fish tanks they were only 1/2s and under...] Anyways, after a week or two, I asked my mom if she could pick up some AQ salt but then she told me "Actually, I think we might have some Aquarium Salt in the 55 gallon stand" So 2 days after I looked, and we did have some. I started treating my betta with AQ for maybe about 5 days, and thought it would of gone away. His fins were very short, he was also tail-biting ether from boredom, or because he had fin rot and was biting his tail off! My beautiful halfmoon kept biting it, me and my mom finally got a 3 gallon aquarium which we spent over $200 for. I decided to put him in the 3 gallon since he had fin rot, and he really needed it. I still need to get a new tank for my betta, my betta would of lived in a 55 gallon with some cories and other fish but the dumb inside mirror caused problems.

ETHER WAY: He has clear [little bit dark] tipping in the end of his tail, is this fin regrowth? Or still fin-rot, when I usually turn of his tank light I believe it goes black. I hope this isn't fin rot. I recently put his filter on medium setting so now it actually is cleaning the tank and keeping it nice, I am noticing he is starting to go under his purple plant on the bottom in the corner, when I come he comes out or I have to lead him out.

Sorry if the pictures are flipped, it was my phone, if you can tilt your head OR go to MS [Microsoft Paint] and flip the image to see it. That would help a lot ;)

P.S I recently cleaned out his tank, did a 100% water change, now the tank is nice and clear, and I put the filter in the middle setting so it's actually stronger and CLEANS the tank, don't worry my betta isn't pushed away, :) I wuv my little moon and my CT Ren

Last edited by Jully; 08-25-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: A mistake, sorry.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #2 
Jully

The second photo is him with the flash on, the first one in his back fin if you can see the white tip...
Old 08-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #3 
Jully

Bump
Old 08-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #4 
kfryman

Are the edges black or a reddish color? black would hint at growth.

Can you fill this out:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Just copy and paste then fill it out, it will help us understand your situation more.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 
Jully

Housing
What size is your tank?: 3 Gallons
What temperature is your tank?: Not sure. I still am waiting for the heater and thermonter to come in.
Does your tank have a filter?: Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: Just a filter.
Is your tank heated?: No, waiting till a heater and thermometer I ordered comes in.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: Nutrafin Betta food, also have Hikari Tropical Flakes, and Tetra-mini flakes. He likes them though, but I rarely feed him them.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 Nutrafin Betta Food, per day, they are small Bettas, smaller then the other ones at my LFS because when I went to buy them they were on a shelf with some other bettas, but I didn't know they had more and I picked these two :P And they were small, they get bloated easily so I only fed 2 a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I do 5% - 10% water changes, sometimes 50% water changes a week, sometimes I skip a week. Because the filter cleans, and I did a 100% water change 3 days ago.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Sometimes 5% - 10% to 50% and if I need to a 100% water change.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Nutrafin Aqua-Plus, it's a conditioner and it has a stress coat forumla in it.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?: No, also have a test kit which is suppose to come in a week.

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness:
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: Not much. He's the same, just way more happier.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: Has not, acts the same, but sometimes swims back and forth a lot in the front or goes under his plastic plant.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: A month ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: Aquarium Salt for 5 days...About a month ago?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: No, just once with Fin Rot but I think he still has it.
How old is your fish (approximately)?: N/A got him at a LFS but he was small, so he must of been 3 months when I got him not sure?

The back has small white spikey tips growth type, sometimes when I turn the light off it looks black? But this time I turned the light off it looks like clear still, it looks small spikey clear, but a little bit dark?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #6 
Jully

bump..
Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

I "think" the clear stuff you are seeing is new growth. Sometimes it does kinda have a blackish tint to it but fin rot can also give the fins a black outline as well.

Quote:
How often do you perform a water change? I do 5% - 10% water changes, sometimes 50% water changes a week, sometimes I skip a week. Because the filter cleans, and I did a 100% water change 3 days ago.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Sometimes 5% - 10% to 50% and if I need to a 100% water change.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Nutrafin Aqua-Plus, it's a conditioner and it has a stress coat forumla in it.
do you ever clean out the gravel? that will help remove poop and uneaten food from the gravel. Sine he is recovering from fin damage, it is best to keep his water super clean for a while otherwise fin rot may develop where the fins are torn. Till his fins are healed, I would do a 50% water change every week. Also if you have stress coat that will help. You can use aquarium salt to hell fight off bacterial infection if you want to but do not use it for more then 10-14 days. It's 1 teaspoon per gallon with 100% water changes for the duration of salt usage. its easier to do in a 1 gallon tank if you have one or you can use 2 teaspoons for the 3 gallon tank you are using. Just make sure it is disolved before you add the fish to the tank.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #8 
Jully

Yes I always clean the gravel out, I run the tap on hot water and put on the powerful spray and rinse the gravel in a clean strainer, I move and flip the gravel so I can clean it, and then the gravel comes out amazing.

I don't want to use AQ since I don't have an extra 1g at the moment, so I don't want to make him sad since he use to live in a 1/2 tank. Aqua-Plus is a conditioner, but it does have stress coat in it.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #9 
TheCheese909

Clear around the edges is regrowth, black is rot.

If it doesn't go away with your average treatment methods you can always try trimming the black part off. I had to do that acouple different times with two of my HMs that got fin rot. After battling it for so long I just cut it off and they started to regrow their finnage after a few weeks.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean?, fin rot or new fins?, is it back