Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #31 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
@Kelly; I know this is a bit late but for future reference;
try wriggle your finger or a chop stick at the water surface. Newly hatched fry will group around the vibration (this is how males feed their fry - vibrate pectoral fins to call his fry). When you think most are at one spot, start feeding - try to make their food sink slowly (easier for fry to find/catch). Once fry are used to "feeding time" you can drop what ever food at that same spot.

Vibration method won't work on bigger/older fry.
Thank you! I'll remember that for future spawns.
Kelly0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #32 
Kelly0727

Sunday August 26, 2012

So my fry have decided to start exploring the tank more and hide in the plants now.. so it makes it much harder to find them. <_> Talk about having anxiety attacks! 3 times already I have thought something happened to them all lol. Having clear bodies doesn't exactly help either..

I went out and got the stuff to make the fry safe siphon today.. Hoping I did it correctly.

But I'm wondering.. should I soak it before using it.. or is there anything I need to do before using it for the first time? (only wondering since I read there are things you'd have to do for the sponges on a home made sponge filter,so curious as if the siphon has its own steps needed done)

The fry are getting 3 small meals a day of micro worms with two water changes once in the morning then once at night.. I am considering a smaller water change in the middle of the day when im home. (trying to get a routine going for when school starts. Yay college classes tomorrow!) I might start easing them onto walter worms next weekend or banana worms.. haven't decided yet.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #33 
tpocicat

Did you know that banana worms are smaller than micro worms?
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #34 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
Did you know that banana worms are smaller than micro worms?
No.. actually I didnt know that.. Guess I messed that up.. I'll add it in with the micro worms from now on then so the little ones can still munch on them. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #35 
tpocicat

You're welcome. I once looked it up to help me choose what to feed first, that's why I knew.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #36 
Kelly0727

Monday August 27, 2012

"But their so tiny!" was the first thing my mom said after taking her first peek at my little fry LOL! Actually we have a couple that teeny tiny and a couple that are three times bigger.. then a couple that is in between. Regardless they are growing! Since my classes started instead of doing two water changes per day.. I am only able to do one right after I get home. So I have increased the amount of water I change.

But even with the big water changes it seems only some of the fry are actually growing.. I go through more than a gallon of water a day but maybe there's just other reasons as to why the teeny tiny fry arent growing as much.. hmmmm.

Also I am now feeding them a mix of micro and banana worms! That way if maybe the smaller fry are having trouble with the micro worms, they will have banana worms to munch on.

So far so good, lets get to two weeks old!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #37 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The bigger fry is more active, eat more, grow more and produce stunting hormones which stunts smaller fry even more. No worries though, they will eventually grow. Some people remove the bigger ones to a different tank to give the smaller ones a better chance.

Your siphon looks good. I don't pre - anything, I just use them. If you're worried, soak everything for 24 hours before use. Hopefully that will dilute any harmful chemicals or what ever.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #38 
Kelly0727

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
The bigger fry is more active, eat more, grow more and produce stunting hormones which stunts smaller fry even more. No worries though, they will eventually grow. Some people remove the bigger ones to a different tank to give the smaller ones a better chance.

Your siphon looks good. I don't pre - anything, I just use them. If you're worried, soak everything for 24 hours before use. Hopefully that will dilute any harmful chemicals or what ever.
Oh ok thanks :) After I read what you said I instantly got up and tried it out for a water change. It's slower than I thought it would be but it gets the job done!

Also I didn't think the stunting hormone would have taken that much affect since I only have maybe 10 fry at the most.. Guess I was wrong. Maybe I should increase the water changes?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #39 
tpocicat

As long as they are growing, I wouldn't worry about it. One a day should be enough. That's what I do unless I have a really big spawn.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #40 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+1 tpocicat
I wouldn't worry about water changes .... I mean once is enough. It's just an individual betta thing - some are greedy while others are not.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote