Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #41 
Thomasdog

+1 Aus,
There are a lot of fantastic, supportive parents out there... but there are also the complete opposite... :*(
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #42 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasdog View Post
+1 Aus,
There are a lot of fantastic, supportive parents out there... but there are also the complete opposite... :*(
True. Thankfully I had my own source of money to get supplies for my fish.
My parents are however not supportive. Once my dad got mad at me (nothing related to pets- long story) and was going to make me flush Teeney down the toilet. ALIVE.

teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #43 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Thomasdog, as a person AND a parent, I can't tell you how much it really dismays me to see kids posting here whose parents have allowed them a betta but flat out refuse to also allow them the things they need to keep the fish healthy. Or if they do buy the bare necessities to keep it alive, they feel they have to whine about it, and make their child feel guilty for caring properly for a pet.

To me, that's just terrible neglect - and not only of the poor fish!

Some adults just need a good hard shake! I wonder how many of them don't think twice about spending money on junk food and other needless crap, but will whine about sparing 15 bucks for a heater or a decent sized tank..

Makes me go ...
It's very irresponsible for a Parent, and adult who should know better and be that example to a child who is learning on how to take care of any pet properly and to be denied by that parent the necessities for a pet to thrive, is beyond annoying..really I am the parent, and my daughter is learning by my example, and with that she is telling her friends all about our betta family, and she is teaching her friends what it takes to maintain a tank, and keep fish healthy..and even in the Petstore she sees a child getting a fish, she steps in and says dont forget the heater, and make sure he is in a big tank, and she will point one out that is acceptable, and point out the ones that are not acceptable..I love it.. Thats my babygirl!!!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #44 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I completly agree people should spend a little less money on them selves and a little more on their fish :)
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #45 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I agree with anyone and I only have one fish and I do spoil him which really means just proper care but along with a few extra things he could get by without like changing out his decorations so he doesnt get bored, nice live plants, I just brought some Betta Pro even though he I feed him NLS I wanted to try this food cause its suppose to be the best and will give him one kind in the morning and the other at night. I was offered a nice PK just the other day but turned it down cause I want to relax now that the tank has finally cycled and just enjoy the one fish I have who I might add did come Walmart and my daughter picked him out as a gift for me for Mothers Day but she did a great job picking out Perseus, he has always been healthy and want to keep him that way ! So Yes be sure you have everything your Betta needs to be happy and healthy before getting another one and plus the one you have deserves the best you can give him !!!
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #46 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
True. Thankfully I had my own source of money to get supplies for my fish.
My parents are however not supportive. Once my dad got mad at me (nothing related to pets- long story) and was going to make me flush Teeney down the toilet. ALIVE.

That really irks me, I would never ever do that to my child..that is pure torment, and crulety, my parents always threatened me with things like taht when I was young child..and I was very reckless because of it, not with pets, I would do anything to make sure my pets were safe..we had cats..I know the feeling, and would never use that against a child..rrrggh
Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #47 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

As for the parent part my parents are not willing to help at all it sucks but that dosen't stop my fish from all having a ten gallon with a heater filter and tons of decor and i'm only thirteen with no job but i can still afford this for my fish so why can't someone who has a paying job and can buy themselves a ton of expensive stuff shoves their fish in a tiny bowl and says they can't afford a $20 heater!!! like geez people. Okay i'm finished ranting. have a good day
Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #48 
lelei

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
As for the parent part my parents are not willing to help at all it sucks but that dosen't stop my fish from all having a ten gallon with a heater filter and tons of decor and i'm only thirteen with no job but i can still afford this for my fish so why can't someone who has a paying job and can buy themselves a ton of expensive stuff shoves their fish in a tiny bowl and says they can't afford a $20 heater!!! like geez people. Okay i'm finished ranting. have a good day

You are amazing, that is awwsum, It's because simply they just don't care enough to do so,, and that is the very sad part of it..no priorities
Old 08-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #49 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I don't like people who don't care :( good thing there is caring people like us in this world :)
Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #50 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
I know people will say stuff like, "At least he had more than his cold little cup when he died," but that isn't a good thing. It's not a rescue if the fish simply dies differently.
Man...sometimes I hate how the edit button disappears after 20 minutes.

I just want to clearify that this part of my rant/comment isn't aimed at people who rescue a very sick fish because the person can tell what the fish has, what treatments the fish needs, can adminster said treatments, but the fish simply can't pull through. If your rescue fish passes away because it was too late for even the most extensive treatment plan you could think of, then you have my condolances. You actually did give the fish much better than a toxic cup during the last hours of his/her life.

I'm referring to the people who see a sick fish, "save" said sick fish from the petstore, and then post in the illness section 5 days later because they don't know why Trooper isn't getting any better in his 0.5 gallon hospital tank that gets weekly water changes. That is the behavior-action combo that drives me up a wall. If you don't know what illness a rescue fish has or know how to treat the illness, you aren't really saving the fish.

Don't even get me started on the people who see a sick fish, "rescue" it without knowing what the fish has, asks for help on the forum, and then writes a luandry list of reasons for why the treatment is too expensive or unavailable.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote