Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #1 
weaver72

Betta's need your help!

I have 2 betta's a delta tail butterfly red and white and a vt red!I have notice on both bottom parts of their mouths have turned white,doesn't look fuzzy yet.Only these to have that my other's do not!They are all in seprate tanks but live under the same conditions.1 gallons,small heater,78-82 and get feed 2 a day 3 pellets morning and 2 pellets night,blood worms and brine shrimp.Water changes 100% and 50% 2 a week and water conditioner!Any Idea what this could be.Thanks for your help
weaver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #2 
lelei

It sounds like you have everything under control, as far as the white goes, not sure, as long as water is clean, and warm, and they are being fed properly, it could be a coloring taking place, hard to tell, is there any way you could post a pic. of either one of them?
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #3 
Aus

A picture would really help.. are they in good health otherwise? Is it a bit pale, or like, snow white?

One of my little wild bettas injured her lip right after I got her - biting the bamboo stick I use to move the moss around (they are little boogers, these wilds..). Her lip turned really white - and I was so scared she'd got a cottonmouth infection, but super clean water and a lot of IAL healed it up marvellously and it's all gone now.

Not sure what to think, since both of yours have it.. I somehow doubt two identical injuries. Keep an eye on it, and if you see any fuzzies at all or the white spreads, or they get lethargic and sick-looking, I'd treat them with an antibiotic as cottonmouth can get nasty very quickly.

Try some IAL, meantime, making the water quite a lot darker than you normally would.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #4 
lelei

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
A picture would really help.. are they in good health otherwise? Is it a bit pale, or like, snow white?

One of my little wild bettas injured her lip right after I got her - biting the bamboo stick I use to move the moss around (they are little boogers, these wilds..). Her lip turned really white - and I was so scared she'd got a cottonmouth infection, but super clean water and a lot of IAL healed it up marvellously and it's all gone now.

Not sure what to think, since both of yours have it.. I somehow doubt two identical injuries. Keep an eye on it, and if you see any fuzzies at all or the white spreads, or they get lethargic and sick-looking, I'd treat them with an antibiotic as cottonmouth can get nasty very quickly.

Try some IAL, meantime, making the water quite a lot darker than you normally would.

Wow, what is that, how does that occur, that cottonmouth, I have heard of it before, but not in fish, in humans though..same thing? I am also wondering now, because I see this on my VT Crimson, he is a rescue, and his mouth and under the mouth area is white, he eats fine, swims fine, I don't know enough about him, other than he looks "older" but right now he is fine..I will keep watch..
Old 08-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #5 
weaver72

Thank you for all your help.can I ask what is IAL!Is pale under their mouths not bright white or cotton color.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #6 
weaver72

I don't have a camera right now to take pic's sorry!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #7 
lelei

IAL is Indian Almond Leaf, and It is sold mostly on E-bay..I just ordered some, they are big leaves, brown that when you steep them, like tea, that is the color that the water will be for treatement..they work really well.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #8 
weaver72

Thanks!!!