Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #11 
harchambeault

I'm happy to report that after fasting for 3 days, Cutie seems back to normal! His color is better, his activity is normal. We started feeding him today. He immediately spit out the pellet I tried to give him, so I gave him a few flakes, which he devoured. I had been adding aquarium salt to his tank...I'm confused, is this something I can add regularly when I change his water, or just when he's sickish. If he has salt in his tank should I change his water everyday? I've been doing 100% water changes for the past 3 days while he was sick. Also, I bought some Jungle Fungus Clear because I thought he had dropsy, and also because his fins are really frayed...now that I"m pretty sure he doesn't have dropsy, is this something I can continue to see if it heals up his fins. And do I change his water everyday with the Jungle stuff? THANKS!!!
harchambeault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #12 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by harchambeault View Post
I'm happy to report that after fasting for 3 days, Cutie seems back to normal! His color is better, his activity is normal. We started feeding him today. He immediately spit out the pellet I tried to give him, so I gave him a few flakes, which he devoured. I had been adding aquarium salt to his tank...I'm confused, is this something I can add regularly when I change his water, or just when he's sickish. If he has salt in his tank should I change his water everyday? I've been doing 100% water changes for the past 3 days while he was sick. Also, I bought some Jungle Fungus Clear because I thought he had dropsy, and also because his fins are really frayed...now that I"m pretty sure he doesn't have dropsy, is this something I can continue to see if it heals up his fins. And do I change his water everyday with the Jungle stuff? THANKS!!!
I wouldn't use the jungle stuff if he doesn't have fungus...
You can only use aquarium salt a max of 10 days- using it longer will result in kidney damage as well as other internal damage.

If theres nothing wrong with him, I just wouldn't use the salt any more.
But for future reference, when using AQ salt you do need 100% daily water changes,

I'm glad he's doing well!! :D
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #13 
Pogthefish

And only use aq salt for 10 days max.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #14 
harchambeault

Thank you! I was confused because the box talks about "needed aquarium salt for promoting fish health", and doesn't say how often or how long to use it (API aquarium salt)
harchambeault is offline   Reply With Quote