Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmm... usually if they talk to me...but Im really not the type to start a conversation. there was a time when a couple walked away with a 1/4g petco divided pencil holder and two bettas. i really hated myself for not saying anything...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #12 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
hmm... usually if they talk to me...but Im really not the type to start a conversation. there was a time when a couple walked away with a 1/4g petco divided pencil holder and two bettas. i really hated myself for not saying anything...
that situation would be one where i'd first try to talk them out of it nicely, then if it didn't work, i'd go into full-on punk rock Hulk Smash intimidation mode. 1/8 gallon per betta? i doubt they'd even have room to turn around in that little water. i don't care if it'd get me kicked out or banned from the store, that's one i could not let happen.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

lol @ hulk smash :D
it was this one...
they call it a bowl, I call it a pencil holder D<
46fl oz
http://www.petco.com/product/109885/...etta-Bowl.aspx
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #14 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
lol @ hulk smash :D
it was this one...
they call it a bowl, I call it a pencil holder D<
46fl oz
http://www.petco.com/product/109885/...etta-Bowl.aspx
i've seen that before, it's just sick. they only have room to move up and down. it's barely bigger than the cups they sell bettas in, and they market it for TWO fish? i'm getting madder by the minute just thinking about it, and need to stop before i start typing in very non-family-friendly language on a family-friendly forum!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #15 
babystarz

Just once so far, because this guy looked totally lost and I heard him talking about maybe getting a betta for his daughter. I overheard and let him know they need a heater and filter and at least a 3 gallon tank. He seemed to appreciate it and asked me several questions. Usually I don't butt in, but if I can tell that someone seems like they'll listen I might say something short, and if they are receptive I will have a longer conversation.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #16 
Sanguinefox
Banned

All the time. Rarely do I go into a pet store without someone asking me for advice. The other day I was at the local pet-smart getting a batch of ghost shrimp when the people at the check out started asking the cashier about the betta they were buying and care. The lady looked a bit clueless so I stepped in. The guy though he could just dump the betta straight into the tank and I explained that you have to let the fish adjust to the temp first by floating the fish. I had to repeat this several times because at first the guy didn't quite understand.

I've been randomly stopped for advice though at every pet store save one that I've been to and helped people with everything from plant selection, fertilizer questions, and fish care/requirements/needs. It's nice though to be able to help people make better choices.
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote