Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #21 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Posting links to other forums is against our rules, you should edit out that first link while you can.

Gas bubble disease is only a concern in cooler water being heated up rapidly by a heater, not as much from filling your tank up from what I've seen.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #22 
teeneythebetta

I just looked it up- its possible but very unlikely - try reading here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=80883
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #23 
Schwielala

Sorry, I didn't think posting something as a reference source was a problem (forum or not). I'm just trying to figure things out here for the fishies.

Thanks, guys! Although someone mentioned well water, which is what I have, and there were a good deal of bubbles forming on the tank walls the first time I filled it.
Schwielala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #24 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Its common and normal for new tanks to have bubbles for a few day, they should g away soon mine did in my 5 gallon but there is some bubbles where the water filters back in the tank all the time which of course is normal. Glad to hear your one guy is eating !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #25 
babystarz

I never age my water, haven't had any problems with it. I would suggest heating the water from the tap by feel to match the water temp in the tank (your hands are surprisingly accurate with this stuff) and you can add the water right away after being conditioned :) I assume that would also take care of this bubble issue.

Last edited by babystarz; 08-28-2012 at 07:28 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #26 
ao
TFK Moderator

Woah! good job for saving those bettas. I can't believe they "experimented" with a goldfish first!

Since I'm in NYC I'd be happy to send you some Indian Almond Leaves and you can see if that will perk them up! They're very good de-stressors XD.
Shipping is around $1.50 I belive and I'll stuff as much as I can in a largeish envelope.

I also have a large HOB filter that came with a 2nd hand petco bookshelf tank. I'll be happy to give that to you too (as well as the filter media). I need to test ot and see if it works though! I wish I could give you my heater too, but I would be needing that in the winter(sorry!).
Let me think of what else I have that I can donate to you :P If ur willing to pick up, you can probably have my book shelf tank too >.> Oh I also have some left over hikari pellets..... Sorry gettig carried away! Will get a photo of everything when I'm home!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #27 
OrangeAugust

Yeah, I think you should get a filter and cycle the tank. I have one of my betas in a 5 gallon tank, and it was actually cycled after only a couple of weeks with my fish in it the whole time. I had been prepared for a long process but it was much quicker than I expected! I still check the water parameters regularly, though. Definitely get yourself a water test kit.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #28 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Yeah, I think you should get a filter and cycle the tank. I have one of my betas in a 5 gallon tank, and it was actually cycled after only a couple of weeks with my fish in it the whole time. I had been prepared for a long process but it was much quicker than I expected! I still check the water parameters regularly, though. Definitely get yourself a water test kit.
My betta lives in a 10 gal tank, it took 4 weeks to cycle. Although each situation is different (;
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #29 
ao
TFK Moderator

Picture as promised!
If you are close enough to pick up from woodside queens...

There is a
6.6g tank
filter
light
small sponge filter
airpump
airline
air valve thingy
betta flakes
hikari biogold
a stresscoat bottle of prime (is that cofusing?)
Indian almond leaves
2packs of petco filter cartridges
1 box of carbon and filter inset floss things

I bought the tank 2nd hand last saturday for $20... But although it fits on my tiny window... It also blocks off half the circulation. and being in a basement with no AC, I thought I was going to suffocate :/. (poor student situation, LOL)
I was going to re-sell this on craigslist, but if it can help you and your fish, I'd be happy to donate!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #30 
Greylady

Hi and congratulations on your new fishies, I applaud your efforts to try to do right by them. I'm not an expert but I though I'd mention my experience with swim bladder issues in case it helps you.

When I first got Gandalf, (my avatar) he had serious swim bladder issues. I'd give him one tiny pellet soaked in water and a couple hours later he'd be so puffed up he would bob to the top on his side and not be able to swim at all. It was terrible. I tried all the tricks, fasting, the pea trick, I spent days on the internet reading and reading trying to help him. My heater was not adjustable and the box said it would only keep the water at 78, I could not get the temp higher then that. So I bought a new heater that would go up to 90 and set it for 82 and he loves it. His swim bladder cleared up immediately and I haven't had any issues since then. I'm not saying this will fix your betta's swim bladder issues because all bettas are different,, but it seems to have made a huge difference for my betta. I've read that their metabolism is very slow and will slow down even further if they are cold, so sometimes that contributes to the swim bladder issues.

Anyway, that was the long way of saying maybe a heater will help your little guy that seems to have swim bladder issues.

PS, the 6.6 "PETCO bookshelf tank" pictured above is what Gandalf is in. I love the tank and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Good luck!

Last edited by Greylady; 08-29-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote