Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #1 
gn3ranger

Question "feeder" goldfish question

Ok so do those little 12-25 cent little goldfish really grow to be enormous with a lifespan of 10 to even over 20 years? I really wanted to just buy one and put him in a 10 gallon tank so I could save one,but I've been reading that some get really huge and quickly outgrow their tanks.

Last edited by gn3ranger; 08-28-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: grammar
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yep, all those feeder dudes get that big.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #3 
gn3ranger

ah that stinks I really wanted to help one of those little guys out. I'd feel bad if I bought one not knowing how big it would get stunting its growth. Oh well maybe If I get a 50gal+ I'll buy a feeder just to have a long term fish. They really do look beautiful I'd love to have one of them live a long happy life.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Yes they do. It's genetic and not something we can change. Goldfish are a medium to large species of carp; growing big is what they do. Despite the mistreatment they get in their early lives, they can still grow over a foot long.

If you really want to save feeders, wait until you can afford a large pond. Buy them and grow them out to about five inches in a 55 gallon tank. Then add them to your pond in the beginning of summer. You will be rewarded with a large fish that will probably live 15-20 years.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Those little feeders are often so diseased and sickly they don't live long either way. Goldfish shouldn't even be used as feeders, they have high fat content which is bad for carnivorous fish in the long run.
Best off getting a pond and a few of them.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #6 
gn3ranger

ponds scare me lol Wouldn't know what to do in the winter and dogs always come and leave me presents in the back yard mostly pit bull's. Either way a pond is a bit far off for me,but a good idea.. also cane toads would infest my back yard if i ever made a pond back there haha.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Ponds are a whole different venture, but they are certainly within the realm of possibility. Maybe later in life you'll feel up to the challenge!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #8 
gn3ranger

Not gonna lie It's a possibility I only like to rescue animals as pets and feeders are on that list. mostly all of my pets are rescued.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #9 
Sakura8

If you want to rescue feeders, I suggest you try rescuing the rosy red minnow feeders. They stay much much smaller, maybe 4" max. A school of those in a tank would be nice. They are very active, though, so I think a 10 gal might be too small. A 20gal at least. The 10gal would work well for their hospital tank though.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3ranger View Post
Ok so do those little 12-25 cent little goldfish really grow to be enormous with a lifespan of 10 to even over 20 years? I really wanted to just buy one and put him in a 10 gallon tank so I could save one,but I've been reading that some get really huge and quickly outgrow their tanks.
White cloud minnows are a pretty fish that stay's small, prefer cool water, and could possibly have a school of seven or eight in 10 gal tank assuming the tank is first (cycled)
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote