Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #11 
jackster911

should i have it run on timer (heater) at 2 hours and rest 1 hour 2 hours rest 1 hour etc...
jackster911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #12 
Matilda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster911 View Post
ugh my temp is always 86
What I did for a friend of mine was hook the heater up to a little timer that had settings for 15 minute increments. I think we ended up with 1 hour on & 1/2 hour off or something like that. It works very well. Just need to do a little figuring & keep an eye on the temp.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #13 
teeneythebetta

Is there somewhere cooler you could move the tank? Maybe a room that doesn't get much sunlight?

Like, a bathroom? As long as you dont take extremely long showers and turn your bathroom fan on; it doesnt affect the water temp in my experience.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #14 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your doing such a good job of getting what your fish needs for proper care thats so awesome ! That heater is taking away from all the fun, have you checked the water to see what temp it is at just room temp ? If its not to low and is 75 to 76 I would leave the heater out till you can get a better one. The Old Fish Lady who is on the forum says she keeps her fish at 75 to 76 and she is has years of experience and right now I am keeping my Bettas water temp at 76 and he is fine and active when the weather gets cooler I will turn up his heater but for now its fine at 76. Plus his light warms up the water maybe a degree.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #15 
jackster911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Your doing such a good job of getting what your fish needs for proper care thats so awesome ! That heater is taking away from all the fun, have you checked the water to see what temp it is at just room temp ? If its not to low and is 75 to 76 I would leave the heater out till you can get a better one. The Old Fish Lady who is on the forum says she keeps her fish at 75 to 76 and she is has years of experience and right now I am keeping my Bettas water temp at 76 and he is fine and active when the weather gets cooler I will turn up his heater but for now its fine at 76. Plus his light warms up the water maybe a degree.

i ordered a 25 watt hydro theo heater adjustable and payed extra to get it here within 2 days! so that should help. what should i set it at when i get it?
jackster911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #16 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster911 View Post
i ordered a 25 watt hydro theo heater adjustable and payed extra to get it here within 2 days! so that should help. what should i set it at when i get it?
That's a fantastic heater. I have one in my 2.5 gallon and it's working beautifully. I keep mine set at 79, and Drago is happy as can be.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #17 
chimes11

Not sure if this method has ever worked for anyone here, but I heard if your tank is to warm. Get a frozen water bottle (make sure the size isn't to big since your tank is small) and let it float until the thermometer drops to the desired temp and take it out as soon as it does. You should look around to see if that did work for anyone first though.
chimes11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #18 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimes11 View Post
Not sure if this method has ever worked for anyone here, but I heard if your tank is to warm. Get a frozen water bottle (make sure the size isn't to big since your tank is small) and let it float until the thermometer drops to the desired temp and take it out as soon as it does. You should look around to see if that did work for anyone first though.
It sounds like a good solution but I think it would drop the temperature too rapidly... Correct me if I'm wrong :P
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote