Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #1 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Oto fruits

I want to feed my otos zuccina but want it to be prepared like I know most fruits have oils and pesticides how do I prepare and give it to them.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #2 
copperarabian

I've always used cucumber, the one time I tried zucchini it made my tank cloudy D: It won't hurt the tank unless left in it for so long that it rots.

I weighed mine down with rocks or weighted cucumber hooks. Some people cook them to make them sink.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What about chemicals
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #4 
Pilot00

Wash them as any other fruit or veggie. Some people boil or microwave them for a couple o mins.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #5 

I rinse em off ,stab em with a fork so that the point's on the fork are not exposed, and plop em in the tank.
Can leave vegetable matter in the tank for up to two day's if you are so inclined.(have done so on weekend fishing trip's)
The vegetable matter contains none of the animal proteins that most fish food's contain(fish,shrimp,krill etc) so although it may cloud the water (depending on how big a piece you use ,tank size) It won't give rise to ammonia level's in my expierience.(whole zuchinni in ten gal might)
Most times,,I place the vegetable matter in the tank at light's out for the day,,and remove it the following day same time.
Oak,Birch leaves,are left in the tank till there's nothing left for like the vegetables,,they don't contain the animal protein's (shrimp,krill,fish,etc).
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #6 
MSG

Pesticides are usually wax based and will not wash off with water.

1. Use a mixture of table or kosher salt to scrub the outside of the conventionally grown veggie & rinse well before you slice it for your fish.
  2. Peel off the skin, most of the pesticides are on the outside, but keep in mind most of the nutrients are on the skin as well.
  3. Use ORGANIC veggies. But you still have to clean the outside just in case there are some residue from being improperly handled.
  4. Cucumber have virtually no nutrients, zucchini & yellow zucchini are better veggies to use.

Option 3 is the safest, but the most expensive. I feed my fish weird stuff & insects that no one on this forum recommends, but all my fishies are alive & well.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
  1. Use a mixture of table or kosher salt to scrub the outside of the conventionally grown veggie & rinse well before you slice it for your fish.
  2. Peel off the skin, most of the pesticides are on the outside, but keep in mind most of the nutrients are on the skin as well.
  3. Use ORGANIC veggies. But you still have to clean the outside just in case there are some residue from being improperly handled.
  4. Cucumber have virtually no nutrients, zucchini & yellow zucchini are better veggies to use.

Option 3 is the safest, but the most expensive. I feed my fish weird stuff & insects that no one on this forum recommends, but all my fishies are alive & well.
Both myself,and fishes have been eatin vegetables for year's after rinsing them under tapwater.
Lot's of produce is cleaned before it hit's the market with bleach/water solution, or tapwater that contain's chlorine/chloramines.
If it weren't effective,,all kind's of folk's would be droppin like flies from residual's ,not to mention that you'd have to wash the dirt mud off the produce before eating it.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #8 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Both myself,and fishes have been eatin vegetables for year's after rinsing them under tapwater.
Lot's of produce is cleaned before it hit's the market with bleach/water solution, or tapwater that contain's chlorine/chloramines.
If it weren't effective,,all kind's of folk's would be droppin like flies from residual's ,not to mention that you'd have to wash the dirt mud off the produce before eating it.
+1
Old 08-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #9 
MSG

That layer of wax also acts as a preservative they don't wash it because it would need to be dried otherwise the product will rot. That extra step will add to the final cost to the product & will reduce the shelf life.

I'm more concerned about the people who handled the produce on the display shelves before you bring it home.

You're saying rinsing in plain tap water will remove the oil from the tips of your fingers?

Pesticide residue is NOT going to kill you, but it will make you ill and mess with your immune system if you eat ENOUGH of it. People & animals can built up a tolerance for it.

Others who are more sensitive will get strange rashes and other symptoms.

You're totally welcome to do what you want. But what I suggested is what my farmers and other people in the industry have taught me.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #10 
Pilot00

I have never seen or heard of anything like that. People around here usually spray pesticides on the plants, not the fruit itself. And i have never heard of anything as a wax/oily thing to act as a preservative. Even things that come from the other side of Europe have nothing of the sort.

Are you sure this waxing technique is not a local 'trick'?