Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 
Sapphoira

Frozen vs Freeze-dried food

Hey all, I was doing some reading on nippyfish.net about food types. I've read in a lot of places that pellets are preferred, then freeze dried food for extra protein/treat, and that frozen foods such as bloodworms/glass worms etc are dangerous because they can introduce bacteria and I think several of our users here have linked frozen foods with increased cases in dropsy. Nippyfish claims that frozen foods are the best, and pellets and freeze dried the worst since they expand when eaten which can cause blockages. In addition, she claims that the pellets contain a lot of undigestible material for bettas. So much conflicting information! Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

live food is always best freeze dried is good to.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Freeze dried foods hardly have anything. Frozen is better, it may introduce bacteria? Since it's frozen, I thought all the bacteria is gone. Pellets are fine to be fed, they're digestible. How could they not be?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

In our home we feed pellet everyday (high quality pellet), frozen every second day (once a day) and rarely do we offer freeze dried. I don't like to have something that rehydrates in my pets tummies. I hardly believe bacteria can survive being frozen for so long... I feel confident in our feeding :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Freezing does not kill off the bacteria. Frozen bloodworms have been known to carry various bacteria and caused protozoan infestations in fish. Not sure if freeze drying even kills everything off. It's a risk either way to feed blood worms as far as I know.. Just the way they are raised, other types of frozen food are much safer.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine freeze dried every now and then. I don't think freeze dried hurts unless you give them a steady diet of it which would be like a steady diet of potato chips.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #7 
Fermin

I alternate between pellets, dried, and frozen (SFBB's multipack containing several different flavors) to keep things varied.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote