Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

How soon to put this injured fish into the sorority?

She was attacked and lost all her fins, and many scales, and the other fish was FINE, which I would be worried about, except all these girls are smaller than her. The scales still look pretty bad, and I noticed a loss of color in her head today, but that ight be from nitrate shock because I decided to put her in the breeder box to get her used to the water chemistry. The nitrate isn't super high, but Ive been putting off changes... Her fins are growing back well and she is stable. The attack happened about 10-15 days ago. Is she safe to put back in? I can put her on the watch list with 2 other girls. They are removed and put in the breeder box periodically to give them extra food and monitor them better. One has a gill problem and both are smaller than the rest, but thats not my point, my point is I was wondering when it is good to put her in, and when it is good to put the other girl who attacked her in. also, Her condition after the accident... lets see *thinking* she was pretty bad, she was really lethargic and stuff afterwards, and she didn't eat for the first feeding. she has lost some weight, but I figured she is working to regrow her fins alot. I have her on the nutrition part of the food (tetramin tropical crisps has 3 types of food, will explain more later) And am just starting her on muscle, color will wait :P I also give freeze-dried bloodworms, and attisons pro betta pellets... you know, ima fill out the thingy!

Housing
What size is your tank? 29 galllons, but she was in a jar for the past 2 weeks.
What temperature is your tank? 80.1
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None right now, the sorority has 7 young hms, a ghost shrimp, and soon to be one more betta (after her)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetramin tropical crisps (nutrition), attisons pro betta pellets, and freeze-dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? No schedule, I know, I'm a bad mommy :( I would say about once or twice a day, and I feed a pellet and/or a crisp and/or a freeze dried bloodworm.. or 5

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? As needed, fish are constantly in and out of the tank, so as long as the params are good and there are plants to handle extra ammonia, she is good
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 15%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: It fluxuates, probably very low.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: I haven't tested in awhile, orange on the API test chart last week (I don't have the card with me so idk the number)
pH: 6.8-7
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

I didn't test her jar, but it was the same source water, no filter. I changed it daily to every other day, 100%, and I had AQ salt until I saw fin regrowth, and one day this week just to be sure.

Yeah, about the food, it has 3 different kinds of crisps all mixed together, green is basic nutirtion, orange is muscle, and red is color. I mostly gave her nutrition, and when she got pellets, she got the minimum for everything else, and also, on a side note, I fed them all mosquitoe larvae and dead bugs the other day.. yum!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #2 
MSG

PTF, a photo of your most injured would be helpful. I've removed mine due to injuries. I'm going to have to get the 20G up & running ASAP. I'm getting very frustrated with the nonstop fighting. At least none of the girls have been severely injured, their little chunks of fins can grow back.

My tank is very well planted with the plastics, as soon as the fighting stopped, I was going to replace the fakes with live plants.

I'm trying the clear dividers right now in their qt tanks so they can get used to seeing one another.

I also tried the bait fish, black neon tetras & I'm going to use the zebras right now too to see if that helps. I need some more fish to clean up the flakes. Zebras are much faster than the neons.

One of the bettas didn't like the neons at first, but finally left them alone after day 2. Black neons are fully healed now.

I still have hope that this will work.

BTW, you can download replacement test result charts from API website.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #3 
Pogthefish

Oh, I just updated from school, I have the card. lol. I remember the colors not the numbers. I also put her in and everything seems fine :)
Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #4 
Fermin

Hi there
I wouldn't put an injured fish back into the sorority that attacked her in the first place. That's cruel. This applies to fish as it does to any other animal, including people:

It's like forcing your child who gets beaten up on his school bus to continue riding that same school bus. What do you think is going to happen? He's going to keep getting beaten up.

Please get her her own separate tank where she can live by herself in peace without the stress and pain of the rest of the sorority ever attacking her again.
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

Actually, she is not with the fish who atacked her, that fish is isolated, secondly, there are no fin nips at all last I checked, this morning. I won't put the attacker in the tank untill all the fish are larger. The only reason she got beat up was because it was only her, now the agression is spread out.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

UPDATE: she is fine, a few nipped fisn with the other girls, but the originally injyred girl is fine, btw, she was lively and active before I put her in the sorority, when she was lethargic after the incident, I didn't even consider putting her in.