Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #51 
MSG

I have a feeling your tanks have traces of ammonia in them. Changing the water once a week isn't enough at this point, I think you need to fit another water change halfway through the week.

• I hope you purchased a API style master water test kit, because if you haven't your bettas rotten fins are going to continue to get worse every week.

Also I saw those ZMed betta condos you're using in the petstore for about $8, but I didn't bother buying one because I couldn't see how you would change the water without spilling water all over the place.

Yes, they're stylish and your initial photos with your male bettas are just gorgeous. Your photos alone made me consider buying that style tank, but after getting a chance to view those betta condos in the store, there was just too many negatives.

Well designed & visually appealing, but made out of cheap materials and because of it, they scratch too easily. No lid and no pour spout. After every water change you would have to wipe the outside down VERY carefully with some sort of acrylic safe pad & a lint free microfiber cloth to avoid scratching the outside. Also you would have to clean the inside of the tank probably once a month of algae/slime buildup so you can actually see the fish.

At least with the 2.5G mini glass tanks I have that double as QT & hospital tanks, there's a built in pour spout from the one corner that makes water removal much easier.

• I would highly recommend doing water tests specifically on the ammonia 2x a week to make sure you water is SAFE.
  • Take a picture of your bettas every week to see if things are getting better or worse.

Good luck
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #52 
bettaluvr

I do the changes in my bathroom sink..I place them in a holding container. I clean the tanks thoroughly every week with a sponge and hot water. The water looks very clean but I do have a test kit for ammonia and can test one of the tanks.
bettaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #53 
bettaluvr

No lights..I had some zomeds LED light on of them but those lights are the biggest pieces of crap as 3 of them blew in the span of 3 weeks.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #54 
bettaluvr

I really like these tanks...the only problem I have with them is there is no lid and I want to make something for them with some kind of mesh and a frame for precaution.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #55 
binx123

Soooo jealous! You're making me want to go out and get another one...hmmm ;)
binx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #56 
teeneythebetta

Ammonia is colorless, so no matter how clean a tank looks ammonia is still slowly killing the fish.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #57 
rosy delta

ive seen those tanks online. Wasn't sure how they would look, but yours look lovely, and the fish are terrific!
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #58 
bettaluvr

I'm treating them with 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt, 100% water changes every 3 days and a piece of indian almond leaf. I'll drop the salt after 10 days. These are 2 gallon unfiltered tanks I thought doing 100% water changes once a week was good..should I be doing a 50% in the middle?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #59 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluvr View Post
I'm treating them with 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt, 100% water changes every 3 days and a piece of indian almond leaf. I'll drop the salt after 10 days. These are 2 gallon unfiltered tanks I thought doing 100% water changes once a week was good..should I be doing a 50% in the middle?
Always! Anything under 5 gallons that's not cycled I usually reccomend 2 weekly changes- 1 50% and 1 100%
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #60 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Always! Anything under 5 gallons that's not cycled I usually reccomend 2 weekly changes- 1 50% and 1 100%
I do that so +1
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote