Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

heaters

Hello,
I need to get heaters for my tanks. Fishie's 5 gallon tank is very stable between 78 and 80 degrees. But I have my new guy, Shiny, in a 1 gallon tank. I'm thinking I may upgrade him to a 2.5 gallon. My 1 gallon was a spare I had when I bought him so he's been in there for about 2 weeks. I don't have a thermometer for his tank yet, but I have a feeling the temperature fluctuates a lot, especially since he was sort of near the A/C. I moved him to my bedroom where it's warmer, but I'm thinking I need to get him a heater. I was going to get one for Fishie later this fall when it gets cooler, but if I'm going to buy one now for Shiny I might as well get both now.
My question is, can I use the same heater in a 1 gallon as in a 2.5 gallon? If I don't get Shiny a bigger tank right away, can I still use the same heater I'll use in his one gallon tank in the bigger tank when I move him? Also, what kind of heater would you recommend for a 5 gallon tank?
So I need 2 heaters:
-one for a 5 gallon
-and one that can be used in both a 1 gallon and then a 2.5 gallon tank.
I'd like them to be adjustable. I'm afraid of overheating my fish by keeping it on all day while I'm at work if it only works at one setting.
So does anyone have any good recommendations?
What about recommendations for a 2-3 gallon tank? It seems like a lot of tanks that size are taller than they are long. I'd like one longer than tall if anyone knows of one like that.

Thanks!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #2 
Sivan

I believe that you should get a 25 watt heater for both aquarium, as they can heat up to 5 gallons. Someone correct me if I am wrong since I tend to mix up my numbers. I would recommend getting Elite brand heaters. They have a lifetime warranty and are very sturdy, holding steady and safe temperatures. They turn on when needed and off when not needed, with an adjustable knob. I cannot speak for all heaters but I know mine can be used up to 5 gallons, so this brand should be good for 1 gallons and 2.5 gallons.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #3 
Seki

Hi OrangeAugust! I just bought new heaters, so hopefully I can be of some help for you.

I have my crowntail in a 2.5 gallon Aqueon Minibow. I highly recommend this tank! I don't use a filter in mine since it was a hand-me-down and didn't come with one, but I've heard the filter isn't too bad in the kit. If you are upgrading to a 2.5, I'd definitely suggest going with the Minibow. In that tank, I have a Hydor Theo 25 watt heater. It is adjustable and nice and compact to fit in the tank. Also, it is fully submersible and can be in any position within the tank and still work. Best of all? It was less than $20 on Amazon.

I have a 5.5 gallon as well, in which I have a Fluval 50 watt heater. I cannot praise this heater enough! It's slim, so it fits easily behind the decorations, plus it's mirrored, so it's hardly noticeable when the tank lights are on! The pilot light is blue, which I find to be much less obnoxious than a red pilot light (as so many heaters have). The heater has kept my tank at a rock-solid 79 degrees, exactly where it is set. It is not fully submersible, the top part needs to be out of the water, but there is a nice little slot for it at the top of my tank's hood, so I'm not concerned about that. It was a little more expensive, about $35, but well worth the money, in my opinion.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
I have my crowntail in a 2.5 gallon Aqueon Minibow. I highly recommend this tank!
I have the 5 gallon Mini Bow tank and I like it. So maybe I'll go for the 2.5 gallon mini bow too. I wonder if the filter has less oomf than the 5 gallon one, because if it still had the same power in a small tank I think that would be too much current. Does anyone know if the filters in these two sizes of tanks are different?

OMG I typed this like two hours ago and just realized I never submitted it.

Also, I saw on Petsmart's website a rectangular glass 2.5 gallon tank. I'll look at it in person tonight but it's not that expensive (about half the price of the mini bow), except I would have to buy the filter (I might not use a filter, though), and lighting separately. Is it worth it?

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 08-30-2012 at 02:37 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #5 
Seki

I don't filter my 2.5 gallon, and Drago is just fine with two weekly water changes (one when I get super busy). He's a little dude, so I almost feel like a filter would be way too much for him. He's probably only about 2/3 the size of my other betta.

I think it depends on the fish, honestly, but a 2.5 gallon is just fine without a filter. You can't cycle it, but it would be very difficult to hold a cycle in a 2.5 gallon anyway, or so I've heard. :)

PS: I saw that tank you are talking about. I had to stop myself from buying it. I don't need another fish... gotta just keep repeating that to myself hahaha
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heaters, tanks