Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #151 
redchigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenr3134 View Post
my dog that i had growing up at kibbles and bits but its not healthy for your dog it has by-products which isn't healthy for your dog or cat.
Sorry, but you are misinformed. meat by-products are cartilage and organs that humans don't eat- These organs are the most nutritionally dense of the whole animal though, and in the wild, the first thing predators eat.

Want to know why canned dog food stinks?
It's cow udder- Disgusting to us, but very nutrient-rich and delicious to a predator.

I agree that grain shouldn't be the main ingredient in dog food. I wouldn't have a problem with food having some grain in it though- After all, dogs to scrounge around for vegetables from time to time.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #152 
finnfinnfriend

My dog food has potato instead of grain....eh, grain isn't as bad as I once thought, so whatever....I'm just glad the first ingredients are meat meals.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #153 
athenr3134

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
I agree! Except fish based food is not good for cats. Its not reccomended to feed more than 1 meal containing fish more than once a week.

http://catinfo.org/
Hmm good to know.... I know cats can't have beef... The gdye is toxic I believe
athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #154 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenr3134 View Post
Hmm good to know.... I know cats can't have beef... The gdye is toxic I believe
Wow really? Ive never heard that before :)
All the cat's foods I feed are chicken or turkey based.

They LOVE the wellness minced turkey canned food.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #155 
athenr3134

food...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
Sorry, but you are misinformed. meat by-products are cartilage and organs that humans don't eat- These organs are the most nutritionally dense of the whole animal though, and in the wild, the first thing predators eat.

Want to know why canned dog food stinks?
It's cow udder- Disgusting to us, but very nutrient-rich and delicious to a predator.

I agree that grain shouldn't be the main ingredient in dog food. I wouldn't have a problem with food having some grain in it though- After all, dogs to scrounge around for vegetables from time to time.
well if i had a dog or cat i would certainly not feed it something that had by-products because its hard for the animal to digest i know this from experience. feeding an animal this way is harmful and the reason that walmart and non-vet/ pet stores sell these products is because its cheap and has no nutritious value whatsoever. do the research.. wellness is more nutritious than kibbles and bits are. we don't eat food with bones and stuff that has rocks etc in it do we? that is very similar to what by-products are. You have your opinion and I have mine. we'll just leave it at that. can dog/cat food is good for the animal they need soft and dry food to maintain a healthy lifestyle however the metals in the can (can be toxic so i would limit what you give the animal in-case they ingest it.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #156 
athenr3134

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Wow really? Ive never heard that before :)
All the cat's foods I feed are chicken or turkey based.

They LOVE the wellness minced turkey canned food.

well the dye on beef is toxic i am almost certain of that. good that you give your cats minced turkey or chicken! :)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #157 
OhNoLenX

I would say Taste of the Wild. It's 100% grain free and made of all natural products. Just Meat and veggies. You pay the price for quality though and a 20lb bag is about 60 bucks. Lucky for me... I have a small dog that can make the 5lb bag last a few months.
OhNoLenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #158 
finnfinnfriend

I pay $15 bucks for a 4 pound bag, lol. But it's worth it.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #159 
starrlamia

beef isnt toxic to cats and it normally isnt dyed. Also by-products are not bad, as long as it isnt the main meat source. Predators eat by-products (and even need some of them) as by-products are simply organs, skin, hair etc. By-products dont include rocks or any other non-animal product. And no humans do not eat them, however you absolutely cannot compare a human diet to a cat or even dog diet.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #160 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
beef isnt toxic to cats and it normally isnt dyed. Also by-products are not bad, as long as it isnt the main meat source. Predators eat by-products (and even need some of them) as by-products are simply organs, skin, hair etc. By-products dont include rocks or any other non-animal product. And no humans do not eat them, however you absolutely cannot compare a human diet to a cat or even dog diet.
Very true! Actually we do eat some by products- some hot dogs and balogna... As far as I'm concerned hot dogs and balogna isn't all that healthy

It also seems to be a pattern of.. Pet Foods containing by products also contain loads of grain- corn, wheat, etc.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote