Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Petsmart or Petco? What tank?

I'm looking on getting a new tank for Buddha (NOT GLASS), a 2 gallon. The bowl is great, but I'm losing it's appeal.

Problem A: I don't know where to go to get it.
I'm going online to buy it, and both of them are having sales, but I'm just lost as to what to do.

Problem B: I want to do a sand bottom, but I don't have a siphon/vacuum and I don't want to get one at the moment. So do I get sand, gravel, or stick with the marbles?

Problem C: What's an acceptable price for a 2 gallon tank, and does anyone have examples of their NONE bowl 2 gals? I prefer one with a light, but I don't need a filter or heater at the moment. He's currently getting two weekly 100% changes, and soon he'll have duckweed with him to help with ammonia.

So, help? :3
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #2 
babystarz

Would you consider getting a slightly bigger tank, like a 3 or 5 gallon? In my opinion there's a much better selection of beautiful tanks in that size range. $35-$45 for a tank with included lighting feature is a normal price for this size, you can expect to pay a bit more for a kit that includes a filter and some supplies. Good sales can get you anywhere from $5-$15 off.

It's near impossible to clean fish waste out of gravel without a siphon, but if you are up for making your own I know it's pretty easy to do so. You could get away with scooping out the top layer of gravel with a cup and sucking the fish waste out of the cup with a turkey baster for a while, but that would be quite labor intensive.

Of all my tanks, by far my favorite small one is this one. Both the 3 gal and the 5 gal are on sale:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...lmdn=Fish+Sale

The lighting feature is perfect, the shape of the tank is great, and I love that the cover is plastic too, it just makes it feel more open and less boxy than your standard rectangular tank.

Last edited by babystarz; 08-30-2012 at 11:45 AM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #3 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Would you consider getting a slightly bigger tank, like a 3 or 5 gallon? In my opinion there's a much better selection of beautiful tanks in that size range. $35-$45 for a tank with included lighting feature is a normal price for this size, you can expect to pay a bit more for a kit that includes a filter and some supplies. Good sales can get you anywhere from $5-$15 off.

It's near impossible to clean fish waste out of gravel without a siphon, but if you are up for making your own I know it's pretty easy to do so.

Of all my tanks, by far my favorite small one is this one. Both the 3 gal and the 5 gal are on sale:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...lmdn=Fish+Sale

The lighting feature is perfect, the shape of the tank is great, and I love that the cover is plastic too, it just makes it feel more open and less boxy than your standard rectangular tank.
Ooooo I do like that!

I want to do something below 5 gallons because I already have a 5 gallon, and doing water changes in college is going to be difficult xD

I really do like that is has a lid and a filter already included, so that explains the price....

I think I definitely have to check this off as an option.

I'm hoping that when I get rid of Buddha's tank, I'll keep it to the side for another fish in the future xD

I haven't had any problems with the 3 fish in the dorm, the RA's all know about it, so who knows what will happen months from now xD
Old 08-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #4 
Seki

I am always a huge fan of the Aqueon Minibow. I have one for my CT and he loves it. The hood has a light, and it comes with a filter (though I don't use a filter in there). There is a cut-out in the back that is perfect for the heater to stick up through. I always recommend this tank to people looking for a nice, but smaller, aquarium for a betta. I actually talked a family into getting two at Petsmart a couple weeks ago.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls

Just to give you an example of what mine looks like. They can look pretty sharp! Especially if you're better at decorating than I am hahaha.

Last edited by Seki; 08-30-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 
Alcemistnv

Ahhhhhhhhhhh another one i likeeeeeee
For the same priceeee

You guys are killing me <3
Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #6 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
Ooooo I do like that!

I want to do something below 5 gallons because I already have a 5 gallon, and doing water changes in college is going to be difficult xD
Oh yep, I can see how that'll be challenging, especially if you have to walk down the hall to get water and dump old tank water :P

When you are ready for a gravel vac, do yourself a huge favor and get one with a pump and a screen on it. It's WAY less work that the ones you have to bounce around to get the suction going (especially in a smaller tank, the ones without pumps just do not get suction). This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/biOrb-82272800.../dp/B000KHZ0X0

It'll drain a tank into a bucket in under a minute, so water changes go really fast. I keep one bucket for dirty water and one for clean, and the system works well for me! I have 10 tanks I'm taking care of right now, so fast and easy cleaning is essential.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #7 
kfryman

One thing unless your house is kept at 80 degrees constant you're gonna need a heater....

If you can, I would get like a 5 gallon tank. There is much more space for your betta, more space to decorate, and less water changes. Of course it is your descion and it is more about maintainance.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Oh yep, I can see how that'll be challenging, especially if you have to walk down the hall to get water and dump old tank water :P

When you are ready for a gravel vac, do yourself a huge favor and get one with a pump and a screen on it. It's WAY less work that the ones you have to bounce around to get the suction going (especially in a smaller tank, the ones without pumps just do not get suction). This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/biOrb-82272800.../dp/B000KHZ0X0

It'll drain a tank into a bucket in under a minute, so water changes go really fast. I keep one bucket for dirty water and one for clean, and the system works well for me! I have 10 tanks I'm taking care of right now, so fast and easy cleaning is essential.
Thanks!! I'll bookmark that :)
I'm sure there will be a time when I'll NEED it, but right now I'm good with how effiecient the marbles are :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
One thing unless your house is kept at 80 degrees constant you're gonna need a heater....

If you can, I would get like a 5 gallon tank. There is much more space for your betta, more space to decorate, and less water changes. Of course it is your descion and it is more about maintainance.
Right now my dorm room windows are CLOSED with fans on, and the tanks are at 81. The room will probably be as warm or AS warm as it is now, in the winter. At home, they stay in my bedroom which gets heated as well. So that shouldn't be an issue.

I honestly wouldn't mind another 5 gallon, but the mateinence on it is so much more than Buddha's 2 gallon. Especially the transporting back and forth. I'll be taking them with me only on two occassions thankfully (winter and summer break), but it's still food for thought knowing the tanks will be taking up room.

The good thing though for me about another 5 gallon is that i can put another betta in there, but I think a 2-3 gallon is good for now :)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #9 
lelei

I have this one, takes less space..inexpensive..3 gal:)

lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #10 
Alcemistnv

That one is nice, but I'm not fond of the tall tanks like that :<