Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 
Dichotomy83

hungry hungry betta

How often do you feed your Betta?

I have a male crowntail and he seems so hungry! I was feeding him Betta flakes once daily and have recently decreased the amount of flakes and am instead feeding him twice. Bloodworms in morning and flakes at night.

He is in a filtered 2.5 gallon tank. Obviously I have concerns with overfeeding.

He gets so excited when I pass by his tank though. Swimming around me but not puffing up. Is he trying to tell me something? Or could he genuinely be looking tor food?
Dichotomy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy83 View Post

I have a male crowntail and he seems so hungry! I was feeding him Betta flakes once daily and have recently decreased the amount of flakes and am instead feeding him twice. Bloodworms in morning and flakes at night.

He is in a filtered 2.5 gallon tank. Obviously I have concerns with overfeeding.

He gets so excited when I pass by his tank though. Swimming around me but not puffing up. Is he trying to tell me something? Or could he genuinely be looking tor food?
My CT is that way too...The blood worms should only be a treat once or twice a week, and you might want to try a pellet like Omega One Betta Buffet...it will be better for him, fill him up more, and won't dirty your tank like the flakes do. He may have to get used to the pellets, but a couple days and he will love them! I only feed 3 pellets in the morning and 3 at night. All betta fish always act like they are starving!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Quote:

Bettas are oppurtunistic eaters. That means that they will eat when food is available. So they always act hungry.
Bloodworms are treats, they should not be fed daily! I would cut back on the bloodworms and only feed bloodworms twice a week at most.
Flakes are hard to portion out, so with flakes it is easy to overfeed and it is easy to underfeed. I reccomend pellets because they are all the same size and you can be sure he gets the correct amount of food.
I feed my betta twice a day- she gets 4 New Life spectrum betta pellets in the morning, 3 omega one pellets at night and once a week she gets a couple frozen bloodworms. Note that pellets are in different sizes for each brand so this feeding amount may be different for other brands. NLS and omega one are the healthiest foods I have found in chain pet stores.

Bettas are very social and attentive to their owners. It is very common for the fish to swim towards you when youre in view :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #4 
Dichotomy83

Thanks for the advice the LFS person told me bloodworms were the "salad " of Betta food. Good to know its actually opposite! Ill pick up some pellets next time we go to the pet store.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I agree with everyone if you can get some Betta pellets for him that would be great for him. I use New Life Spectrum but had to order them on like cause my local pet shop did not have them check Amazon if you want to order on line. There are other brands of pellets also you can get and they are so much better then flakes cause you control how much your Betta eats. The pellets I use are tiny so he gets 3 in the morning and 3 at night. Bloodworms are for snacks only and once or twice a week.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Thanks for the advice the LFS person told me bloodworms were the "salad " of Betta food. Good to know its actually opposite! Ill pick up some pellets next time we go to the pet store.
Yeah, the LFS people don't always give the best advice! My fish love the Omega One, and they are all thriving! Best of luck to you, and come back anytime with questions!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

I watch my betta's stomach. at a certain size I stop feeding him.
I adopted that method when it became too hard to measure out the NLS small fish formula.
I do have to admit that I'm a chronic over feeder. This is why I make sure he has access to his reflection and a good current at all times.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Oh jeez, way to go uneducated pet store employee!
Yeah I would disreguard any advice they give you. 99.9% of the time they dont know what they are talking about.. Is there anything else she told you? Just so we can validate (or invalidate) that information
Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #9 
Dichotomy83

Alpha is one spoiled little fish. I just ordered him a better hidey, pellets, some fake bamboo grass and a thermometer. I would like to upgrade his tank size but that just isn't in the finances right now.

Question though.....I haven't seen any tank spikes in nitrites/nitrates or ammonia. Why isn't my tank cycling? Should I be concerned?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Alpha is one spoiled little fish. I just ordered him a better hidey, pellets, some fake bamboo grass and a thermometer. I would like to upgrade his tank size but that just isn't in the finances right now.

Question though.....I haven't seen any tank spikes in nitrites/nitrates or ammonia. Why isn't my tank cycling? Should I be concerned?
What are your current ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels?
Are you using a liquid test kit or strips?
Do you ever rinse out the filter cartridge? Youre not supposed to rinse it in clean water because that will kill all the beneficial bacteria. If it looks gross, you can swish it in a bucket of USED tank water. It will always look brown and gross but that is completely normal- thats a sign of beneficial bacteria