Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #1 
Alcemistnv
Member
 
Alcemistnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange/Ulster County, New York
Duckweed!

So I just got some duckweed from the wonderful Aokashi, and my boys are trying to eat it! Luckily, they spit it out right away.

Is it possible to just leave some duckweed in a container and let it grow and then put it in the tank, or does it need some special requirements?

I'm sure they'll realize eventually it's not food, but I don't want them somehow dropping it all xD
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Yes under High light they cover the surface which will kill your Betta but a little fertilizer and a plant light if they grow fast enough you can turn them into fish feed they are actually turned into Chicken food.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv
Member
 
Alcemistnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange/Ulster County, New York
o.O
Really?

And I haven't heard of them killing bettas by filling the top of tanks...especially since they (bettas) seem strong enough to swim through them to get air...

I'm hoping for a whole surface spread of them so I hope it works Dx
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
o.O
Really?

And I haven't heard of them killing bettas by filling the top of tanks...especially since they (bettas) seem strong enough to swim through them to get air...

I'm hoping for a whole surface spread of them so I hope it works Dx
I mean if they cover the surface the Betta has a harder time surfacing to the surface to get oxygen a Betta will drown if it can not surface but the chances of that are so low.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #5 
mattoboy
Member
 
mattoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I am so confused ChoclateBetta

Duckweed is probably one of the most (if not) hardiest plants in the aqua hobby. I think im the only one that killed all my duckweed :O anyways ya its a floating plant that multiplies like crazy! It can cover the top of the top in matter of weeks if not days. Yes, you can scoop some out and put it in a seperate container. It doesn't really matter if your betta tries to eat the duckweed. Since they are omnivores, it wouldn't hurt them - it would actually do some good. And plus it gives them exercise and something to "play" with. I have never heard of a betta drowning because of too much duckweed - I would think they would just push some over to get room to breathe.
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoboy View Post
I am so confused ChoclateBetta

Duckweed is probably one of the most (if not) hardiest plants in the aqua hobby. I think im the only one that killed all my duckweed :O anyways ya its a floating plant that multiplies like crazy! It can cover the top of the top in matter of weeks if not days. Yes, you can scoop some out and put it in a seperate container. It doesn't really matter if your betta tries to eat the duckweed. Since they are omnivores, it wouldn't hurt them - it would actually do some good. And plus it gives them exercise and something to "play" with. I have never heard of a betta drowning because of too much duckweed - I would think they would just push some over to get room to breathe.
My experience is in a tank they will grow but high light they will cover the surface but to cover they need a lot of nutrients to sustain a colony I never said they do not grow fast Betta fish are CARNIVORES humans are omnivores An omnivore diet to a carnivore is unhealthy a carnivores digestive track is shorter as meat is easier to convert to meat than plants I said it is rare to drown from no surface access it would have to be a thick colony Riccia fluitans might establish to.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv
Member
 
Alcemistnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange/Ulster County, New York
...I thought it was normal for bettas to eat the plants in their tanks, hence why they actually go after it.


But as for the duckweed, I'm just waiting for it to multiply hopefully by the time the new tank comes. That way I can put some on both tanks.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #8 
mattoboy
Member
 
mattoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I use to always keep spare duckweed around :)
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
...I thought it was normal for bettas to eat the plants in their tanks, hence why they actually go after it.


But as for the duckweed, I'm just waiting for it to multiply hopefully by the time the new tank comes. That way I can put some on both tanks.
In aquariums fish eat things they usually do not eat in the wild.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
XD they'll ignore it after a while. I never let it cover my tank surface entirely. But if they do, the betta will just push through and breathe from the surface anyway, I've seen them do this. if it grows well, you'll be throwing them out by the handful :) and best of all, you'll see no more ammonia XD Ur throwing ammonia away by the handful! woot!

Edit: my terrinle typos
edit:2 ^ see!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duckweed.. vette91 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 4 08-03-2011 11:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.