Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #11 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Haven't seen anyone mention this (or I missed it), but definitely get an adjustable heater and tank thermometer - bettas prefer to live at temps of around 80 degrees.

I agree that the air pump is unnecessary for a betta, since they are surface breathers it's just not something you have to bother with. To make sure they have enough oxygen at the surface of the tank, always get tank hoods with air holes and leave at least 1 inch of space between the water line and the tank cover.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well my anubias plants from Petco did in my new 3 gal :) I also ordered some Java fern and it looks good so far too. Try to find the healthiest looking plants you can, and if you don't have a nutrient rich substrate in the tank your plants will need fertilizer and/or root tabs. I like Flourish by Seachem as a fertilizer. Since the plant clippings from Petco are small, you may need to use a zip tie or some other tie mechanism to anchor them to the bottom of the tank, so be prepared to get a little creative with that.
Agreed! Proper temperature is a big role in proper betta care. Often times warm water will make their color brighter. :D
Heres my girl, before (when i first got her in april) and after (a few weeks ago)

its really important that the heater says it is adjustable and has a thermostat. I use via aqua heaters available on amazon because theyre very affordable.. http://www.amazon.com/ViaAqua-50-Wat.../dp/B005440HLO

Your tank should have a 25 watt heater, but no more than 50 watts. 50 watts would work too.
ALSO.. forgot to mention fish food! pellets are better than flakes because flakes are messy and you cant easily portion them. Some of the best brands are new life spectrum betta formula pellets (#1) and omega one betta buffet pellets (#2)

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 08-28-2012 at 03:46 PM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #12 
Jully

I have always heard to run the filter for 24 hours, I never got it from Pet Store advice but members advice.

And, it does help the tank and clean the water so you have a better start.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #13 
Ramla

Wow leave for a few hours to go do homework and enjoy an illusionist and this place is thumping with activity XD

Thanks everyone for all the advice it is much appreciated!

The air pump is just something that came with the set up, it was nice tank and decent filter for 30 bucks so I was like heck yes! plus the shape fits really nicely on my desk so double bonus there! Plus the way the air pump works..I believe it may also be some form of filter? Not entirely sure haven't delved completely into the manual or plugged things in since I don't have the check valve yet, which is pretty cheap at walmart so will likely get it just to be on the safe side. Annnnyways, the air pump thing also doubles as the light so will probably be keepin it in there and just keepin the bubbles to a minimum.

Thermometer check! I just need to find a cheap heater...all the ones here are not adjustable and the ones that are, are a bit more than I would like to spend if I could...so amazon will probably be my friend XD

Root tabs/fertilizer? Are these simply added by putting them into the water or is there a special way of doing it?

And I think I lucked out in the fact that this petco has some java fern and the anacharias (sp?) you guys seem to all be fond of ^^

And yeah running the filter for 24 hours I think I've come across that rule before, I think it's more of one of those things to make sure it works properly and with a new tank to simply cycle any gunk out. Kinda one of those things of breaking in the filter..I know I always did that with my turtle tank whenever I needed to buy a new one, before putting him back in.

Last edited by Ramla; 08-29-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #14 
Ramla

BTW:
Thanks Teeney for the link if the dimensions are right likely I will be getting that heater for my tank
Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #15 
teeneythebetta

Ive never used root tabs bbut i do recccomend seachem flourish liquid fertilizer. it says on the side of the bottle how many ml to use per gallon. i founnd mine at petsmart ;)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #16 
Ramla

So got some anubias today for my tank...and just was wondering the best set up for it in tank? I've found a lil info, but not a lot and like I said I am a newbie to all of this so details are really appreciated

Oh and does anyone have any tips for keeping tubes/wires against the wall of the aquarium within it? Cause the wire and tube for the light and air bubbler kinda likes to stick out and I've been trying to keep it back, but doesn't want to cooperate so far

Last edited by Ramla; 08-30-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Tags
beginner, betta, set up