Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #1 
rachelled

New tankmates

I recently divided my 10 gallon tank in half. This is for space and practical reasons - I adopted a new betta and I'm trying to stop myself from being buried in extra tanks! Tempting though it may be :)

Now, the new addition to the tank is getting along great. He is active and happy, although of course the two spend a great deal of time flaring at each other.

My other buddy, though, is now sluggish and is showing stress lines :( I gave him about a month to adjust to having half the tank instead of the whole one and he was doing fine, but the addition of a new fish is really stressing him out even after a couple days.

I'm really worried about my second fish. He grew up alone in his tank - Will he adjust to having a tankmate, or will the stress be too much for him?
rachelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #2 
MSG

Depends on the fish, but if he's still stressed, add more materials to the divider to make it less see through & that should fix it.

I know some of my red bettas are NOT okay with seeing the top dogs. They get freaked out, lose all color & will cower in the corner once they've had enough.

It's pretty amazing to witness the change.

Once I noticed it I added another divider that was opaque and they were back to normal. There's a little built in window in the divider that allows them to see through to the other side, but they can leave once they get scared.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #3 
rachelled

I see :) Is there a chance he'll get used to the other guy in time? It's only been a couple of days so I'm not sure.

My divider is a DIY version made with right now... I'm a little unsure of how I'd make an opaque one. What are some good material options for an opaque divider??
rachelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #4 
MSG

Of course there's a chance, your bettas will get used to one another but only time will tell.

In the meantime, you could just double up on the mesh material you used for the divider. The opaque ones would be something like plexiglass with holes drilled out of it. Now that I think about it, I should use the thin plexiglass to create a divider. I need to practice working on the material.

The dividers I'm using now are actually old CD cases. The window are the plastic part that holds the cd in place.

If I need to create a privacy screen I'll probably use a thin flexible plastic used in cutting boards mats. They sell about $1.50 each now, but I should have old ones I don't use anymore that just collecting dust.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote