Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60
Member
 
Bettanewbie60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Coastal Georgia
Question "Bandit" tail biting or something else?

Hey ya'll...I'm so frustrated with Bandit's tail condition...I have checked his bowl, and there doesn't seem to be anything that could be ripping it up. It has no black edges. I just don't know why it is shredding? Any help would be appreciated!
Name:  Fishy pics 011 (600x450).jpg
Views: 89
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  Fishy pics 009 (600x450).jpg
Views: 90
Size:  25.6 KB
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
A board Betta will fin nip more stimulation will help like floating Betta log live food and if you want a bigger tank how big is the bowl also I have a chocolate Betta too. Because of there intelligence they can suffer from depression.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60
Member
 
Bettanewbie60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Coastal Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
A board Betta will fin nip more stimulation will help like floating Betta log live food and if you want a bigger tank how big is the bowl also I have a chocolate Betta too. Because of there intelligence they can suffer from depression.
He is in a 1g right now...I am getting another 2.5 this week, and was deciding on who to upgrade next...I guess it will be Bandit! With the sale at Pet Supplies Plus this week maybe I can get a 10g and divide it..I'm just afraid of the whole divider thing..so many failures in that realm. I will cost me just as much for a 2.5, but then I won't have to worry about any accidental meetings. Thanks
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
He is in a 1g right now...I am getting another 2.5 this week, and was deciding on who to upgrade next...I guess it will be Bandit! With the sale at Pet Supplies Plus this week maybe I can get a 10g and divide it..I'm just afraid of the whole divider thing..so many failures in that realm. I will cost me just as much for a 2.5, but then I won't have to worry about any accidental meetings. Thanks
Yeah that is one reason I avoid dividers also when you said bowl that scared me because the bowls I see you seem to know your Bettas hiding places and live/silk plants help remember no plastic plants it damages the fins.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60
Member
 
Bettanewbie60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Coastal Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Yeah that is one reason I avoid dividers also when you said bowl that scared me because the bowls I see you seem to know your Bettas hiding places and live/silk plants help remember no plastic plants it damages the fins.
Yeah, he has a silk plant, a log and a hammock...sigh, I feel bad for him if he's bored..maybe some interaction tomorrow next to one of my other bettas tanks, or even just moving his bowl to a different area? I care so much for these guys...I love them.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Yeah, he has a silk plant, a log and a hammock...sigh, I feel bad for him if he's bored..maybe some interaction tomorrow next to one of my other bettas tanks, or even just moving his bowl to a different area? I care so much for these guys...I love them.
Every fish someone on this forum owns is lucky just be careful seeing each other to much can cause to much stress.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #7 
Gryphon
Member
 
Gryphon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: PacNW, USA
Have you seen him actually biting his tail? I'm currently dealing with a tail biting HM, and I think he started because he didn't like that I was gone for a couple weeks. I would offer your fish different decorations or a change of scenery to see if he becomes distracted by that. Sometimes putting another betta by their tank will help them by distracting them, or other times it will stress them out.

If it is tail biting, you could also place a mirror by the tank for a little while every day to encourage his flaring, but not stress him out completely. He will see himself in the reflection and think it is another fish (unless you have a really smart cookie like my HM who won't perform for the mirror )

As far as tank size goes, he would probably appreciate the larger space. My HM is in a 2.5 currently, but no matter the size he still bites himself (he also did it in his .5g QT tank).
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Have you seen him actually biting his tail? I'm currently dealing with a tail biting HM, and I think he started because he didn't like that I was gone for a couple weeks. I would offer your fish different decorations or a change of scenery to see if he becomes distracted by that. Sometimes putting another betta by their tank will help them by distracting them, or other times it will stress them out.

If it is tail biting, you could also place a mirror by the tank for a little while every day to encourage his flaring, but not stress him out completely. He will see himself in the reflection and think it is another fish (unless you have a really smart cookie like my HM who won't perform for the mirror )

As far as tank size goes, he would probably appreciate the larger space. My HM is in a 2.5 currently, but no matter the size he still bites himself (he also did it in his .5g QT tank).
Plants live food Betta toys caves would help.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #9 
Bettanewbie60
Member
 
Bettanewbie60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Coastal Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Have you seen him actually biting his tail? I'm currently dealing with a tail biting HM, and I think he started because he didn't like that I was gone for a couple weeks. I would offer your fish different decorations or a change of scenery to see if he becomes distracted by that. Sometimes putting another betta by their tank will help them by distracting them, or other times it will stress them out.

If it is tail biting, you could also place a mirror by the tank for a little while every day to encourage his flaring, but not stress him out completely. He will see himself in the reflection and think it is another fish (unless you have a really smart cookie like my HM who won't perform for the mirror )

As far as tank size goes, he would probably appreciate the larger space. My HM is in a 2.5 currently, but no matter the size he still bites himself (he also did it in his .5g QT tank).
No, I haven't actually seen him doing it..but, I've heard that is usually the case. I can't wait to be able to get him the 2.5 and change up his environment. Thanks for the suggestions!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st Betta, petco "Wild" Doulbe Tail MachinaSoul Betta Chat 17 03-17-2012 01:46 AM
Several Bumps/Lumps/"Bubbles" in Male Betta's Tail LakotaWolf Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 2 12-15-2011 07:10 PM
curled dorsal fin and "ruffle-edged" tail on a VT? (finrot/recovery question I think) inkrealm Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 0 08-04-2011 10:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.