Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta not eating pellets

1K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  wah543 
#1 ·
I have been feeding my betta pellets for a while and lately he hasnt been able to eat them. He lunges at the pellets then quickly ducks away and misses the pellet, hitting it, and making it sink. This happened two days in a row and he's maybe eaten one pellet in the time. I even tried crushing the pellets and he ate a little piece of it but the rest just got knocked away and sunk down. Should I try switching to flakes or something?

#3 ·
Hmm....you could try soaking the pellets in fresh garlic juice, see if that entices his appetite a little more. You could also try a could different brands of pellets; that was the trick with one of my boys who recently had a similar problem. After eating one brand(HBH Betta Bites)just fine for over a month, he started doing the same thing yours is doing. I switched over to Omega One Betta Buffet and he seems to eat those just fine.

Has anything in his environment changed recently? New tank or decor or location? Any chance he could be stressed?

#4 ·
It's probably the pellets, I would just opt to try something different, they could just be too big, and it's difficult to eat, so he gave up..try micro pellets, Hakari Gold floats, and gives time for the fishy to find, and very tiny so they will eat em..I use the OMega one, and they float for a micro second, they start to sink, so If you don't want food sinking your fishy has to find and eat quick, or go with the Hakari:)

#5 ·
Nothing has really changed recently, I think the pellets might be too big for him he did have some trouble in the past with them but it was only like occasionally but now it's been for two days straight, I'm going to Petco today to pick up some filters I might try getting a different type of food for him

#8 ·
Dang is your betta small?

#11 ·
There is also New Life Spectrum, for the better nutrient value, but they sink..so it's up to you, or the Omega One, they microsecond sink,, if your fish jumps for food, and they jump on the pellet, it will go down fast, and you will be wasting food, and it will be impossible to find, and start deteiorating..and fouling up in the water..

#12 ·
You know, I've never had that sinking problem with Omega One pellets....I did with Aqueon though. My fish were never particularly fond of the Aqueon pellets however.

Hakari, New Life Spectrum(I think besides the betta formula there a separate micro pellet formula you can try?), Omega One.....try one or two or all and see what works best for you. ;)

#18 ·
Maybe try get a pellet that floats. Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets float... REALLY well! Trust me I know! I came into my room once with I don't know how many pellets were floating in my tank! My little cousin had come into my room while I wasn't there and ever so kindly fed my fish... Too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.