Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 
PhantomDaydream

Exclamation My fish seems sick or depressed!

Hi, I am in need of some help.

I have a beta named Philios. I have had him for quite a while now...maybe half a year? Well I just moved into an apartment and since we moved in he has been lying on the bottom of the tank and he would hide in this little dip that was created by the rocks. When I "wake him up" for his food he will be fine for a minute after he eats and swim around but he will start darting around, especially if he gets too close to the filter. His appetite has decreased and he seems to have this film of white speckles kind of? You can only tell if you are closely looking at him. It kind of sounds like Ick but I want to be sure.

Some more info is that he has a sore on his side that was caused a few weeks ago when he got stuck beneath some rocks or by the plastic seaweed I had. It seems to be healing. The seaweed is gone but I think he misses it. I changed out the seaweed for a fabric one but I am not sure if he likes it. I had to cut it down because it was taking up too much space.
I do not have a heater as of yet and his tank is a 2.5 gallon one that I found at walmart. (He was kind of a on a whim thing. I got him for free at an event that only gave him a tiny glass bowl...only a bit bigger than his container he came in.) Oh and I use Dasani for his water because I know sink water isn't good for him.

Oh and I switch out between a pellet one day and flakes the next, and occasionally his blood worms. He used to eat just flakes and blood worms until he got stuck in the rocks and I was worried for his health.

I just changed his water and he still seems depressed. So if anyone can give me an idea as to what is wrong with him and how I can fix it that would be wonderful. I am really worried about him. He used to be a happy swimmy fish.
PhantomDaydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

if it looks like salt grains it is ich. You can't miss it.

To treat ich, you will need a higher temperature (around 86F) and Aq Salt.
The dosage is 1tsp/g.
predissolve the salt in water before you add it to the tank. mix well.
Seeig that you do not have a heater right now. you need to keep him somewhere day/night temperature are warm and constant. You may need a copper based medication because you do not have a heater.
the medication probably costs the same as a heater.
Slowly bring the salt dosage up to 2tsp/g on day two.
. Change the water out every day and wash out tank with hot water thoroughly to rod of ich eggs.

I have to say that whoever told you tap water is bad, is misinformed.
Unless you have terrible terrible well water, conditioned tap water is probably the best for your betta.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #3 
PhantomDaydream

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it! I will try to get to petco and get a heater, aq salt, and that water conditioning stuff I have seen. I hope he will be okay until tomorrow since I changed the tank.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

:) Good choice! I recommend you grab a bottle of stresscoat, make sure it says on the lable that it makes tap water safe and eliminates chlorine and chloramine.
When you get the heater (best to get one with an adjustable knob-usually cheaper on amazon but I dont think you have time), Raise the temperature slowly (+1F/hr MAX) until you reach 86.
I would suggest that you get rid of all decorations in the tank and have it bare bottom. this will make cleaning much easier.
If yoi have organic non idodised seasalt (check ingredients, make sure it doesnt have an anti caking agent added) you can use that.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #5 
PhantomDaydream

:D Thank you for the advice. I will make sure to write it down before I go shopping for Philios.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

If you go to the link below and take API's survey on their website, they will give you a coupon for stress coat! :)

http://www.apifishcare.com/surveys/S...spx?SurveyID=2

I hope he gets better soon! :D
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote