Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #1 
SharkMistress

Smile Appropriate Betta fish tank!

Hello!

I'm planning to buy a Betta fish as a pet for my college dorm. However, because of size issues and requirements in place by the college regarding the size tank we are allowed to have, I'm unable to get one as large as I would like. (I would have loved to get at least a 5-10 gallon).

I went to my local PetCo today and came across this: http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...l.aspx?id=4727 (However, the one I purchased is labeled as being 1.5 gallons, rather than 1.1 gallons.)

The size of the tank is perfect for my dorm room, however, I want to assure that my Betta will be able to live a comfortable life in something of this size.

Is this tank appropriate for an adult size Betta to live in? Also, if this tank is able to work, is there anything in particular I could do to make it a healthier, more comfortable environment for him? I don't have much in the way of funds, but I'm willing to scrape together anything I can to keep this fish happy!

Thanks for any help and advice! ^-^
SharkMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

It is an okay size, but IMO 2 gallons is what I usually reccomend as a minimum. With a 2 gallon tank you can do two weekly water changes- 1 100% change and 1 50% change, where as anything less than 2 gal should have 3 weekly water changes- 2 50% changes and 1 100% change.

Don't forget the heater! I reccomend this one, you can fit it in a tank 2 gal minimum- http://www.amazon.com/ViaAqua-50-Wat.../dp/B005440HLO

:)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #3 
registereduser

I never lived in a dorm so I have to ask: What would happen if you got a 5 gallon? Do they fine you? Kick you out?

How would they know if it's a 5 gallon, do they inspect rooms and measure the tank?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #4 
SharkMistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I never lived in a dorm so I have to ask: What would happen if you got a 5 gallon? Do they fine you? Kick you out?

How would they know if it's a 5 gallon, do they inspect rooms and measure the tank?
It differs from college to college. At mine, they do have dorm inspections. These usually happen once a month on a preset date, but they also sometimes do surprise inspections. If anyone is found with any pets other than fish (those are the only pets allowed in the dorms), or are found to have a tank that is over the allowed size, we are given a one week warning. During that week, we must remove the pet/tank. After the week is up, another inspection takes place. If the offence hasn't been taken care of, we can get fined (something which I sadly do not have the money to pay for. )

I will most definitely look into getting that heater if it will fit into the tank! If not, I'll at least find one that will. I'll see (once I start my campus job) if I can scrape up some money to upgrade to a 2 or 2.5 gallon tank (the maximum we're allowed in the dorm I believe is 3, but I'll have to double check that) Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #5 
MSG

Are you sure your ordered that 1.1G half moon tank?

As far as I know this is the only 1.5G tank Tetra makes.

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...l.aspx?id=4267

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...d=220482772345

I have this 1.5G WW tank but I don't think it's enough room for a full grown betta. For a baby betta it might be okay.

5G kit would cost you about the same but you already ordered the tank, right?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Yeah the least I'd reccomend that heater for is 2 gallons, it's even pushing it for that small of a tank ;)

For anything under 2 gallons you'd probably want anywhere for 10-25 watts. I'd reccomend getting a heater that is adjustable because preset heaters are a nightmare to deal with lol.

Given correct water change schedule and a temperature of 78-82* F your betta will do well :)
Thought is add this in- I reccomend new life spectrum betta pellets or omega one betta buffet pellets- healthiest foods available :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #7 
SharkMistress

Yes, the tank was already bought. It was a back to school gift from my family (they knew I was looking into trying to get a Betta and wanted to surprise me).

The tank is definietly the same one, but it may be that PetCo just mislabeled the product. It certainly wouldn't be the first time they've done so.

I could attempt to get the 5 gallon tank for Christmas and Summer breaks when I bring the Betta home with me. I would just need to make sure I have something I could still use when in the dorm.

Is there any 2 or 3 gallon tanks that either of you would recommend? I should hopefully have my first pay check in October and can use what I earn to buy a more appropriate sized tank and any accessories I might need with it.

Thank you both so much for your help!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Yeah the least I'd reccomend that heater for is 2 gallons, it's even pushing it for that small of a tank ;)

For anything under 2 gallons you'd probably want anywhere for 10-25 watts. I'd reccomend getting a heater that is adjustable because preset heaters are a nightmare to deal with lol.

Given correct water change schedule and a temperature of 78-82* F your betta will do well :)
Thought is add this in- I reccomend new life spectrum betta pellets or omega one betta buffet pellets- healthiest foods available :)
+1
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

you could just get a large fish bowl, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Fish-B.../dp/B0002Z7RUO

I've heard good things about this one, too:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #10 
SharkMistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post

This is wonderful advice! Thanks so much! ^-^ I'll be writing this down and keeping it on hand!

Tags
advice, college, size, tank