Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #1 
kellyyoungmoney

aq salt or epsom salt?

my white HM horton has just recently become bloated looking. it seems to come on all of a sudden. hes also been tailbiting more than usual. i think his tailbiting might be linked to me taking out a tank decoration because of paint issues, but i cant put it back in. i fed him 1 pellet tonight just so he thinks hes getting fed but hopefully itll help his stomach. ive looked for scales sticking out to make sure its not dropsy and i dont see any, but he makes it really hard to see anything with all his moving so im not entirely sure. also, he keeps opening his mouth to me more than normal(dont know if this is weird but he never used to do it). hes in a 2.5 gal heated tank and is fairly active, but seems dragged down by his fins so i dont want to put him in anything bigger. but my question is, should i put him in epsom salt for the possible constipation(i cant ever tell when he goes to the bathroom) or aq salt for his tailbiting.
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Epsom Salt. It's more important anyways. Clean water will clear the missing fins. He's going to bite during treatment. Just fast him, (NO FEEDING!) and give him a little bit of pea like this big: o Or frozen daphnia, it's better to use that. Ammonia levels? And look for a gray belly or swollen eyes/face for Dropsy. Pineconing is the last stage of internal breakdowns so you don't want to look for that.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #3 
kellyyoungmoney

yeah ive been meaning to get some frozen daphnia for a while now just in case. and his ammonia levels should be relatively low because ive been doing 50% changes almost everyday. i would be doing 100% but every time i do that he literally gets so stressed he basically shuts down completely. he still gets stressed with the 50% just not as bad. hes a sensitive little boy.
kellyyoungmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Ok. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote