Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

How do you tell if its fin rot or ripped tail?

I posted about 3 or 4 days ago that my new male tail is beginning to look really raggity...when I got him in a little petco cup his tail was BEAUTIFUL! with just some tips with raggety edges on the bottom...then about a week after having him I noticed a hole at the bottom and some rips at the bottom (he has been flaring a lot and still is) and some suggested it could be from him flaring a lot and I thought maybe he was just getting it caught on some gravel i had at the bottom of the tank...so anywho, i re-did the tank, removed the sharp rocks, added sand and added real plants. I only just recently noticed him hanging out around the filter, it is set on its lowest setting but I also heard that hanging out around the filter can cause it....today I put a bunch of my new plants right infront of the filter tube to hopefully deter him from trying to hang out there...we will see if it stops him, but today I noticed his tail is really looking awful..rips everywhere and now a hole at the base of his top tail right by his body...lots of raggety edges everywhere! He is not ill, acts fine, eats regularly, still flares at his reflection, no discoloration et...but I am curious...how can you tell the different between fin rot and ripped tail/nipped tail (I havent seen him biting his tail yet). My concern is that this is happening fast...if it is fin rot id like to catch it before it gets worse. Also if anyone has pics that show the difference please share :) thanks everyone!

oh and of it helps...he is a halfmoon double tail
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Check the water if it is dirty probably fin rot might want to do a water change if there is a plastic plant it is probably fin damage some aquarium salt medication water changes and if you are series Indian almond keep an eye on him he could be a fin nipper doing it to him self he is a fin nipper he needs more decorations or a bigger tank.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

Thanks Choclatebetta! His aquarium is very clean and pretty new...he is in a 6.6 gal with about 6 live plants, 2 moss balls, a little hide house which he loves and a small figurine. He has a background to help hide hide his reflection. I havent caught him fin nipping but there are a couple of rips that actually look like bites lol...I wonder if he does it at night? Where would I get almond leaves and how do I use them in the tank? aslo how do I know its not fin rot? I always add aquarium salt to my tanks but not with the plants in their im not putting as much salt. Should I do salt baths or hold off? I guess that why im trying to find out if its fin rot or not, id hate to go through all of the salt baths and stressing him out if its not ya know? If he has rot would it be discolored, would he have illness?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #4 
farmgirl598

I'm having the same problem with a couple of my fancy bettas. I have only live and silk plants in the tanks, but the darned silk plants all have PLASTIC STEMS! I don't see how that is any safer for bettas than plastic PLANTS! I removed the silk plants, only leaving live flaoting anacharis... which makes me mad because I ordered several silk plants that I apparently cannot use now. What can I do???

Last edited by farmgirl598; 08-31-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typos
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
Thanks Choclatebetta! His aquarium is very clean and pretty new...he is in a 6.6 gal with about 6 live plants, 2 moss balls, a little hide house which he loves and a small figurine. He has a background to help hide hide his reflection. I havent caught him fin nipping but there are a couple of rips that actually look like bites lol...I wonder if he does it at night? Where would I get almond leaves and how do I use them in the tank? aslo how do I know its not fin rot? I always add aquarium salt to my tanks but not with the plants in their im not putting as much salt. Should I do salt baths or hold off? I guess that why im trying to find out if its fin rot or not, id hate to go through all of the salt baths and stressing him out if its not ya know? If he has rot would it be discolored, would he have illness?
Almond leaves can be purchased on aqua-bid eBay and other Betta websites you get it into the water not the tank then put the water into the tank it is also left in Betta tanks during breeding the Siamese have been using it for hundreds of years and that sounds like a nice tanks.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #6 
Friendlyfishies

Is it possible to sand the plastic to make it smoother farmgirl? Asside from that I dont know...I didnt bother trying silk after I read about the damage plastic plants can cause, I skipped right over and went to live plants...anyone have any answers for farmgirl? Thank Cholclatebetta! I will definitely be looking into getting him some almond leaves :) ...and thank you it has taken me a few weeks to get all of his new items together but im happy with it now and hopefully he will enjoy it too.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #7 
PaintedOaksOki

You could shave off any sharp parts that you see, if it feels smooth and it doesn't get caught on nylons, it's safe!
(this is for the plastic stemmed fake plants.)
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #8 
farmgirl598

Yeah, I am leaning toward investing in live plants too. Silk plants are not ALWAYS safe for bettas, as I have discovered. I trimmed all bad areas off the plant, and added VitaChem to his water. He's still active and eating, as if nothing is wrong at all....but I am still worried. He's due for a water change today. Should I add AQ salt? VitaChem? Both? Thank you ALL for the advice. There are so many good knowledgeable betta people here!
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote