Schwielala

Sudden Fungal Infection

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons, divided once
What temperature is your tank? Was 80, just set it to 76
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? As of yesterday
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One other betta on the other side of the divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin color enhancing betta bits, frozen daphnia a couple days ago
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% then 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat Plus (water conditioner)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Difficult to read the test strip, ammonia was .25 or lower, and tested the same color when I tested my tap water out of the faucet.
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White patches, color change, looks like a rotting fruit.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Clamped at the bottom corner, severly lethargic, no reactions, not eating. He'd be dead if his gills weren't still chuggin.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Turned the water temp down to 76F. I have aquarium salt that I have not yet tried pending help.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only had him for a week.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Rescued him a week ago from a wedding. Don't know how old the average petstore Betta is before being sold.

Here he is:

I also don't have another container for quarantine or hospital purposes for him or his tank mate other than the cups they came in, unless I could keep them in something household like a tupperware? :( Don't think I have a gallon tupperware though.
Schwielala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #2 
BettaQi

You can use a fresh Tupperware that hasn't had detergent in it.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #3 
BettaQi

If you have a jug that used to have water in it, just cut the top off.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 
BettaQi

•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.

From the sticky In this forum section.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #5 
Schwielala

(This is a quote of my response in the original care thread I started)

Thanks for the help, I just did a full water change and put in new water, mixed in 1tsp per gallon aquarium salt and conditioner. They are both still in the tank right now because I really can't think of anything else I have. The Tupperware I have has all been used and washed with soap multiple times. I might have some yucky cobweb happy buckets in the garage, don't know if that could cause more sickness.

While doing the water change he still had some spunk in him, and I actually can't see white spots anymore (so confusing @_@), now he just looks extremely pale and his fins are almost see-through. (The tiny white unfocused spots in this picture are on the tank not the fish)

His tank-mate "Ex-Floaty"/"Little red" (I really need to name these guys) pictured below has had ups and downs activity-wise. The only thing I can see on him is a shiny spot behind his gills. It doesn't look fuzzy, it looks like a shiny white scale to me.

[/quote]
Schwielala is offline   Reply With Quote