Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #21 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
At the moment, Spike only has two fake plants and Java Moss in his divided section of the tank. I'm going to the petstore this week, so I might be able to pick up some more of deco or stones/wood. I just turned my light off, as I only have Java moss/fern in the tanks.

I'll have to go and see if any of the LPS have any medications without 'fix' in them. I've heard that AQ and Stress Coat help, and may be better to put in than any other medication?
No I wouldn't get any other medication... Here's the treatment for tail biting. Keep in mind when using AQ salt you need to do 100% daily water changes.. A hiding spot would be great for him.

Fin/tail biting
•Symptoms: Not to be confused with Fin/Tail Rot, Fin or Tail biting is when a betta bites his own tail, tearing off pieces. Fins will be ragged, they will look like there are chunks missing, Fin loss can occur overnight, The tips of the fins are clean, no black or red edging, You may spot him swimming in circles, chasing his tail, There may be no other behavioral change
•Treatment:
Bettas bite their own tails out of boredom or misplaced aggression. To cure his boredom, try getting him a larger tank, move things around in the tank to spark his interest, put a mirror up to the tank a few times per day to let him exercise, offer a variety of foods, get him some tank mates (research into this first though), or put his tank next to another betta’s tank ect… Owners of fin biters often have to deal with their tendency for a lifetime but do what you can to draw his attention from his fins. When your betta does have a fin biting episode, it is important to keep his water extra clean to prevent infection. You can treat him for a few days with Aquarium Salt until you see regrowth but you do not want to overuse it. Using Stress Coat as the water conditioner will help fin regrowth.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #22 
teeneythebetta

Although it doesn't say it there, typically you use 1 teaspoon per gallon of AQ salt
Old 09-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #23 
magnum

Quote:
Fin/tail biting
•Symptoms: Not to be confused with Fin/Tail Rot, Fin or Tail biting is when a betta bites his own tail, tearing off pieces. Fins will be ragged, they will look like there are chunks missing, Fin loss can occur overnight, The tips of the fins are clean, no black or red edging, You may spot him swimming in circles, chasing his tail, There may be no other behavioral change
Looks like I have a tail-biter. It seems to be a clean cut bite, with one or two little spiky bits, and no redness.

Thanks so much for the information! I've never had to deal with a fin-biter before, so this is a first. I'm heading to my LPS tomorrow, hopefully I'll get all the stuff then, and I'll keep you informed.

BTW, I love the pitbull in your DP. I'd love to have one, but there illegal in Australia I think. I hate it when people brand dogs as dangerous, when it's not the dogs fault and 99% of the time its people mis-treating and abusing their dog to aggrovatio.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #24 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Looks like I have a tail-biter. It seems to be a clean cut bite, with one or two little spiky bits, and no redness.

Thanks so much for the information! I've never had to deal with a fin-biter before, so this is a first. I'm heading to my LPS tomorrow, hopefully I'll get all the stuff then, and I'll keep you informed.

BTW, I love the pitbull in your DP. I'd love to have one, but there illegal in Australia I think. I hate it when people brand dogs as dangerous, when it's not the dogs fault and 99% of the time its people mis-treating and abusing their dog to aggrovatio.
Oh and be sure to pre mix the AQ salt in water so it completely dissolves before adding him in.

Thanks! He is a love muffin :) I know it's a shame when a breed is banned in places. :( if you look in my signature there's a link at the bottom of a video about them and why they're known for what they do it's a really awesome video, 2 mins long. Talks about how loyal they are really cute :)
Old 09-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #25 
magnum

Awwww. Whats his name? I used to run a website against the abuse of pitbulls and all that, but it got lost in cyberspace somewhere... I'm really against animal cruelty and puppy farms, all that type of stuff.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #26 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Awwww. Whats his name? I used to run a website against the abuse of pitbulls and all that, but it got lost in cyberspace somewhere... I'm really against animal cruelty and puppy farms, all that type of stuff.
His name is DeeOhJee
Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #27 
magnum

So today I went for my first ever job interview. It's at some kids play centre, so I hope it will be okay. Fortunately this means money and I've already got two goals set. First is saving up enough so I can adopt a dog from the pound and secondly saving up for a sorority tank.

Sorry for the short post guys, just really tired. See youse all tomorrow!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #28 
magnum

So, I did get the job! Now plans for my sorority can go ahead once I start pulling in the money! As for new fish, I picked up this little cutie. She was staring at me, and I just couldn't resist!

Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #29 
teeneythebetta

That defenitely looks like eggs because of the white color on her tummy :)
Old 09-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #30 
magnum

Sadly, little unnamed passed away this morning. I'm not sure what caused it, or what happened but she seemed to be having ALOT of trouble breathing or swimming. May she always swim under the rainbow bridge.