Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 
otter

Question Tank mates?

Hi there I am about to start a sorority in a 26 gallon tank with 6 or 7 females!
I am also getting 3 cory catfish!

I was wondering, If small tetra would be ok. I have 5 xray tetra in my 55 gallon, and I don't want them in there anymore. Would they be ok with the females?

otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Probably yes if you want just 1 tetra I would recommend Emperor tetra I have one with my female in my community you could get a few more cories make sure they are the same breed.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #3 
DragonFish

As far as compatibility, most tetra species should be just fine. As far as I understand, Tetras are overall peaceful schooling fish.

However, with that said, I wouldn't recommend putting the tetras in your 29. Instead, I would highly suggest you go and pick up a few more cories(all of the same variety, as suggested)as they are schooling/shoaling fish much like Tetras and do best in groups of 6 or more.
With your plan of 6-7 females and a good shoal of 6-8 cories, I think you'd about maxed out though. Might be able to fit in another female or two if the urge struck you, but I wouldn't add in another schooling-type fish.....its always best to have one nice big school rather then a bunch of smaller ones. ;)
If you really don't want your X-rays anymore, you could advertise locally and try to re-home them....or if you have a local Mom&Pop sort of pet store that keeps fish sometimes they'll take fish for store credit/trade ins.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
As far as compatibility, most tetra species should be just fine. As far as I understand, Tetras are overall peaceful schooling fish.

However, with that said, I wouldn't recommend putting the tetras in your 29. Instead, I would highly suggest you go and pick up a few more cories(all of the same variety, as suggested)as they are schooling/shoaling fish much like Tetras and do best in groups of 6 or more.
With your plan of 6-7 females and a good shoal of 6-8 cories, I think you'd about maxed out though. Might be able to fit in another female or two if the urge struck you, but I wouldn't add in another schooling-type fish.....its always best to have one nice big school rather then a bunch of smaller ones. ;)
If you really don't want your X-rays anymore, you could advertise locally and try to re-home them....or if you have a local Mom&Pop sort of pet store that keeps fish sometimes they'll take fish for store credit/trade ins.
Telling you an emperor tetra is perfect you only need one.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Hi there I am about to start a sorority in a 26 gallon tank with 6 or 7 females!
I am also getting 3 cory catfish!

I was wondering, If small tetra would be ok. I have 5 xray tetra in my 55 gallon, and I don't want them in there anymore. Would they be ok with the females?

What else is in there you could just move the 29 to55 makes a better home assuming you just have the tetras in there.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #6 
otter

I have a 25 gallon, but there isnt any room and my little sister wouldn't let me give away any of the random fish we have in here and I also have a 10 gallon divided tank for my 2 betta.

I was thinking I could just give them a new home, but I was thinking that I could give away my serpae tetra instead so I could make room for angelfish

I think I can solve this problem!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Lol, well best of luck!

Something I forgot to add in my other post though.....if you decided not to do the cories, you could certainly put the x-rays in the 26(29...I have no idea why I read 29 before xD)if you wanted. One group of schooling species would be fine, two would just be a little much.

Have fun with your stocking! And feel free to ask any more questions that come to mind. :)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #8 
otter

Thanks so much!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

yup! some kind of fish that wont swim in the area that the females fight fot (top strata) would be a good choice :) usually it's cories.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #10 
DragonFish

You're very welcome. :) Good luck!