Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

Ya. Having nitrates in your tap water at all is going to make keeping goldfish rather hard. I have no nitrates in my water and I struggled to keep it under 40 ppm in my goldfish tank without plants. I think you made the right choice about waiting.

For a 20 gal with a king betta, I'd go with a school of 10 tetra or rasbora and a school of cory cats for the bottom. Sand is best for the little cories. Some fish to look at are von rio tetra, X-ray tetra, harlequin rasbora, and cherry barbs. You've got a whole host of corydoras to choose from as really any will do in your soft water.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #12 
a123andpoof

Okay thanks! I may do that I know kinzoku would love an upgrade from his 5g my only problem is that he wouldnt be right next to my bed, but I suppose his happiness is more important.
I have always liked the neon tetras and I think they would compliment him just not sure how he would like them...he is pretty aggressive so dont want anything he could eat.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

Ya. Neons could easily become a meal for a king betta. X-ray tetra are pretty bland, and they get larger than neons. Those would be a good mix.

Or you could just get a school of substrate fish and let your king rule the upper parts.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #14 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
Wonder if I could fit a 30g in the space I am looking at.

I am looking at the shubunkin goldfish, and telescope eye ones or really just any that come in a calico coloring. But more so the shubunkin how would they do in a 30-35g? And would that be just 1 fish or 2? And could anything else such as like a bottom feeder or something also go in there?
long-body goldfish like shubunkins should never be kept in a tank with round-body goldfish. they are much faster swimmers, and will bully the rounder, slower ones out of their meals, and lead to some very overgrown shubes and underfed, starving tankmates.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote