Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 
bettasusa

Anyone Keeping Garters or Corn Snakes?

Had these in the past along with some Boas, Ball Pythons, and Blood Pythons. Wondering if anyone on the forum keeps Garters or Corns and if they do any field herping outdoors and comes across them. Ok, hope to get some replies!
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I love corn snakes if my parents loved snakes and I could get a terrium either that or poison dart frogs.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

my freshman year bio teacher had a corn snake in his classroom, and ever since i've wanted one. i have to admit that compared to fish, lizards and even turtles, snakes don't have a whole lot of personality, but corn snakes seem to be the exception.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My former science teacher had a female California King Snake.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #5 
PaintingPintos

Uh oh.....lol
I love snakes a TON but I hate the fact that they need to eat rodents and such.... I just can't bear it and my parents hate snakes so for the time being I've never really had snakes.

EXCEPT...
There is a 2 1/2 foot long Garter snake that lives in my yard (has been there for 5+ years) and I see him sunning himself very often on our front porch. He's a beautiful thing and I've caught him a great many times, though each time he greets me with a pungent odor xD
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
Uh oh.....lol
I love snakes a TON but I hate the fact that they need to eat rodents and such.... I just can't bear it and my parents hate snakes so for the time being I've never really had snakes.

EXCEPT...
There is a 2 1/2 foot long Garter snake that lives in my yard (has been there for 5+ years) and I see him sunning himself very often on our front porch. He's a beautiful thing and I've caught him a great many times, though each time he greets me with a pungent odor xD
haha having been a 10 year old boy with a forest in his back yard, i can now identify a nearby snake, turtle or large lizard by the individual smells they give off :D
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
haha having been a 10 year old boy with a forest in his back yard, i can now identify a nearby snake, turtle or large lizard by the individual smells they give off :D
lucky if I could smell something more than 4 inches away wait I would smell my room not joking never mind.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 09-02-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #8 
Jennycallie

I have two corns, a 'snow' and an amelanistic! Both boys, Amadeus and Luciano. Amadeus was my first and just the best starter snake you could ask for- he's super mellow, has a great appetite, and has never shown any signs of aggression ever. Luciano... well, he's pretty much the exact opposite haha, but I think he's definitely unusual for a corn.

I have lots of good photos but only one bad one readily available:
Jennycallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #9 
nel3

thats a unique snake cave you have there. its quite the smart idea and beats going to a store for a cave.

id love to get a snake though i dont have much space to keep one, too many fish. i did go to an expo 6 months ago and got an obsession with asian vine snakes for about 2 hours. it promptly ended knowiing i dont have much space for a +10 gal tank and the fact vine smakes will eat lizards. i dont like having incompatible pets ie fish and cats. i know some dont have issues though i fear if it actually happens.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #10 
Jennycallie

Haha, thanks- it definitely is the cheaper solution and they don't seem to mind one bit. I just replace the boxes every time I clean the cage and that's that. I did buy them a nice "tree"/log thing to climb on though, which they enjoy. Plus the texture helps them shed.

I looove vine snakes, they are just gorgeous. But I hope to have a lizard or two someday, so definitely a no for the incompatibility. Though I have to say, my four cats have never shown much interest in my bettas. Honestly they seem more intrigued by the snakes, if anything. Maybe my cats are just weird? Haha.
Jennycallie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corn, garter, snakes