Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #1 
registereduser

oldest piece of equipment?

A friend recently gave me a 29 gallon set up that
she has had up and running for at least 15 years.
She re-homed the one fish she had in it (a clown loach)
and broke down the tank for me last week.

I was wondering about the heater. It's old!
It has been used for 15 years until now, how much
longer can it go? Should I still use it?

Pictures attached, I haven't cleaned the heater yet,
sorry for the yuck on it.

Last edited by registereduser; 12-10-2013 at 09:56 PM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 
MSG

Oh gees, I love it when people post pictures of old equipment like this. I one that trumps that hydor, but just test it out first to make sure it maintains the right temperature. It might have gone out of calibration at this point, but as long as the glass isn't cracked, I would use it.

The rubber pieces might be brittle though so be careful when your cleaning that.

I'll post a picture of my vintage heater in a few minutes.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would not use it dirt and old heaters have a tendacy to explode if over heating plus not a good as today's using old equipment is not a good idea not as stable and effective.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #4 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Oh gees, I love it when people post pictures of old equipment like this. I one that trumps that hydor, but just test it out first to make sure it maintains the right temperature. It might have gone out of calibration at this point, but as long as the glass isn't cracked, I would use it.

The rubber pieces might be brittle though so be careful when your cleaning that.

I'll post a picture of my vintage heater in a few minutes.
cool, thanks. This heater was in use up until last Tuesday.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #5 
MollyJean

I love old heaters, they where made so much better when I was little. Clean it up really good, a razor will scrape off the calcium build up, then test it in a 5 gallon bucket or tote. I'd stick a thermometer close to it, and one far away, to see what you get. There's no reason to toss it if it's working! I just bought 7 heaters in a box, all over 10 years old, and only 2 were broke. They just don't make em like they used to. :(
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #6 
registereduser

I will definitely use it, just wondering how old can they get before I have to worry about them breaking or dying. Nothing is made like it used to be made. I remember buying a Hostess cupcake a few years back and it did not taste anything like when I was a kid
Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #7 
MSG

Your heater is a Hydor & it was clearly made in Italy. Yes, it's probably from the early 90's, but one of the better brands out there. I would jump at the opportunity to play around with it. The only thing is it's 150watts & I wouldn't even use it till the middle of winter.

Take a look at this vintage brown heater. It's gotta be from the 80's & must be one of the FIRST submersible heaters out on the market. The one in this picture I would be more concerned with. It has no labeling on it, but it's a 50W heater.

Let me know if you can see the full size of this photo. It's 3000x2250.

The company that makes Hostess cupcakes have changed their ingredients over the years to save money. I'm sure they've gone with a cheaper type of shortening, and probably added more filler.

Last edited by MSG; 09-02-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #8 
registereduser

Today's heaters all have plastic bottoms, the bare test tube bottoms of the old heaters are scary.

I knew it must be good if made in Italy, like expensive shoes

thanks for the pix MSG, it works, huh?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #9 
MSG

Plastic bottoms or the silicone cap on the bottom to prevent not so intelligent people from cracking the end?

You can always add a little silicone to the bottom if you're that concerned about that. Most of my heaters don't have those idiot safety caps.

That brown heater scared me, because it was only plugged in for about 10 seconds. It took 5 seconds for the heater to turn on once it realized it was not at the temperature. Boy did it get hot in 5 seconds. The tube was about 150 degrees in 5 seconds.

That's why I threw it on the magazine after instead of leaving it on the carpet.

I just needed it on just long enough for the KW tester to get the wattage rating.

This is the full size of that photo that I just posted. Not sure if you can see it full size by accessing it through the link.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #10 
MollyJean

Any aquarium heater will overheat
right away if taken out of water,
new ones and old ones.
I've had them burn tables and crack
glass before when doing
water changes and not paying attention.
You just have to be careful.

Last edited by MollyJean; 09-03-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: format
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote