Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #1 
RoxieStClaire

Question Maracyn-Oxy: Does it work?

Ok, so now that Tudor's life-threatening issues have been safely taken care of, I think it's time to address his fin rot. It's very minor, in fact for a few days I wondered if it was even fin rot or if he just naturally had black tips on his rays, but after doing a water change today I noticed a few of his tips had broken off and were laying at the bottom of the bowl.

I know a lot of people have said that just changing his water every day and adding a little aq. salt for a few days should be enough, but since I already had Maracyn-Oxy on hand I thought I'd give it a try since it says it treats fin rot. It says it's non-antibiotic, so I'm wondering what it does, if it DOES do anything.

So my questions are: Is it safe to use? And does it actually work, or is it just snake oil?
RoxieStClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bacteria in aquariums can not handle salt and copper what do you mean by snake oil?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 
RoxieStClaire

Snake oil: A reference to the 1800s when you could claim a medicine could cure everything when in reality it did nothing. Snake oil as a miraculous cure-all was one of the most common ones.

The bottle says the active ingredient is "stabilized chlorine oxides", for whatever that's worth. I haven't put any in yet, Tudor seems to be doing fine so far with just clean water and salt, and I haven't seen any more of his fins fall off.

I just wanted to know if this med actually helped, or if its not worth trying.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxieStClaire View Post
Snake oil: A reference to the 1800s when you could claim a medicine could cure everything when in reality it did nothing. Snake oil as a miraculous cure-all was one of the most common ones.

The bottle says the active ingredient is "stabilized chlorine oxides", for whatever that's worth. I haven't put any in yet, Tudor seems to be doing fine so far with just clean water and salt, and I haven't seen any more of his fins fall off.

I just wanted to know if this med actually helped, or if its not worth trying.
Thanks not good with expressions medicions kill inveterates and scaleless fish like cories so the medicine take advantage of bacteria vulnerabilities.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #5 
RoxieStClaire

Hmmm now that I think about it, if it's "stabilized chlorine oxides" then wouldn't that be essentially the same as adding chlorine to the tank? Gosh, I put Stress Coat+ in to REMOVE the chlorine, can't see this one helping much.

I think I'll just set this one aside and just do the water changes with salt, and re-examine the medication issue if he's not any better in a few days.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #6 
RoxieStClaire

Yep just read the full instructions: "Should the fish exhibit signs of distress, neutralize the medication by using an aquarium dechlorinator."

I'm pretty sure that means this medication is useless to have if you have to dechlorinate your fish's water with or without treating it for illness.

"Snake oil! Getcha snake oil hereeeeee! Good for what ails ya!"
Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxieStClaire View Post
Yep just read the full instructions: "Should the fish exhibit signs of distress, neutralize the medication by using an aquarium dechlorinator."

I'm pretty sure that means this medication is useless to have if you have to dechlorinate your fish's water with or without treating it for illness.

"Snake oil! Getcha snake oil hereeeeee! Good for what ails ya!"
I can believe and get that.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

It depends on what you are using it for. I tried it for columnaris because that was the only thing I could find at the time - but it didn't help at all. So I'm gonna say it wont fight gram negative bacterial infections like columnaris but it is supposed to be effective aganist fin rot and true fungal infections.

Quote:
Active Ingredients: Stabilized chlorine dioxide.
Symptoms:
Fungus
Whitish tufts of cotton-like material found on fin, tail and body at sites of injury or on developing eggs.
Bacterial Diseases
Clamped fins, swollen eyes, heavy or rapid breathing and/or patchy coloration.
Also, the betta did not show any distress from using it which I was also worried about since the stuff is made from some form of chlorine.

Quote:
your water should already be conditioned before you add this stuff. Your not supposed to put more conditioner in unless the fish is showing signs of distress

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-03-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #9 
RoxieStClaire

So if my understanding is correct, the meds are already dosed for after you've conditioned the water?

I add a dose of stress coat with his water changes because that's what a post on fin rot said to do in order to treat it. I know it says it also removes chlorine, which is why I was wondering if it would even work if I used the two in conjunction.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

Quote:
So if my understanding is correct, the meds are already dosed for after you've conditioned the water?
That is also how I understood it. I would think you would put in the stress coat and then add in the maracyn-oxy. At least that's what I did. I'm thinking if you added the maracyn first then the stress coat, the stress coat would deactivate whatever is in the maracyn oxy.

Stress coat won't treat the fin rot but it does help with fin regrowth.
How bad is the rot? If its not bad or agressive, the best treatment is clean, warm water with 1 teaspoon per gallon of aquarium salt with 100% daily water changes. This is easiest to do in a 1 or 2 gallon tank. You can use medication if you want as well. I think I would use API's TETRACYCLINE for fin rot if you can get it. There are other meds out there as well but this one I have used before

Quote:
API Pro Series; TETRACYCLINE HYDROCHLORIDE- $8.29
Jump to Shopping Cart

*Alternative treatment for Erythromycin, especially for Streptococcus infections in fish (not to be combined with Erythromycin).
*Effective for SOME causes of diseases such as bacterial tail rot, cotton mouth fungus and gill disease.
*Primarily gram positive, however Tetracycline has some wide spectrum gram negative use as well.
*Tetracycline will cause a slight brown discoloration & foam of water which can be removed with activated carbon.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-03-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot crown tail, maracyn-oxy