Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #1 
faildog

One problem after another D:

I love this forum, but I hate having to come back to this section because my fish have problems :C Also, I have included pictures that were taken today. Sorry about the giant size.

I recently posted about my delta tail, Haru. He's still in quarantine but he has begun to eat again BUT, his tail seems like it's not healing, nor does it seem to be getting worse. AND I am seeing what looks like fungus on his back. Haru for some reason won't touch the blood worms I give to him, is still acting lethargic, and stays at the bottom of his tank for long periods of time. I have been doing 100% water changes every other day for him.

Here's haru, you can't see the fungus on him but I noticed it literally 3 minutes ago.

One of my original bettas (my second delta tail) died for an unknown reason, but he was much healthier than Haru. I am speculating that something happened with him and a spider because when I was cleaning out the gravel in his section a dead spider was kinda just..lying there. /shudders/ I have replaced him with Tapioca. Who I think will grow a bit more (he's actually pretty small).

He was labeled as a halfmoon, but I'm not sure what he is. There are a few folds in his tails that make me think he's a rose tail, but that could just be a defect in him. Also, some parts of his dorsal fin are extremely thin and are practically see through, should I be concerned about this?

My MAIN problem today, is my double tail, Natsui. Yesterday I was cleaning out their tank, replacing gravel with sand, adding in silk plants in exchange for their old plastic ones, and putting in moss balls and some java fern. Today, I woke up to see that he has made a decent sized bubble nest and he has some small damage on his fins on the tip of his top most caudal fin. I am relatively certain that he was nipping at his tail due to stress (probably when he was in a little cup when I was cleaning everything :C). I add in some aquarium salt and leave for about two hours. I come home to see that the top of his caudal tail and the bottom of his dorsal tail are extremely frayed and ripped.

You can see part of it here.

My main concern is that the edges of the damage have turned red. Is this an infection or is it just blood due to the damage? Also, I might be a bit paranoid, but what can I do to make him stop biting his tail? I hope he'll stop once he's settled down a bit more, but if he doesn't..?

I love my bettas, so thank you in advance for helping me.

tl;dr Haru still having problems, seems like some fungus is growing on him. Natsui is biting his tail, may be infected?

Last edited by faildog; 09-02-2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Cropped the pictures a bit
faildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If you think it is fin rot salt and water changes it could be fin nipping which stimulation helps if the temp is below 77F then lethargy is caused by too cold.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

The bottom pic does look like fin bitting to me. Did it happen in a short period of time? If so - probably nipping his fin.
In order to stop it, you need to figure out the cause of it. If he is bored - add a new plant or some people use place a ping pong ball in the tank. Did anything in his tank change - new decor, new neighbor, ect?
or he could be nipping simply because his fins are too heavy. If thats the case - not much you can do about it - other then keep the water clean.
I had a blue HM that just did not want the heavy fins, I guess. I had him in everything from a 1G up to a 10G and still he tore his fins to shreads.

For fungus- I used quick cure when sluggles had fungus. It's also treats ick as well. Does haru have a heater? and how often are water changes?
For a while, I used 1/4 distilled water mixed in with tap water with one of my bettas. Maybe that would help him?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #4 
faildog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
If you think it is fin rot salt and water changes it could be fin nipping which stimulation helps if the temp is below 77F then lethargy is caused by too cold.
I did add aquarium salt just to be sure. I did a 100% water change yesterday for all of them. I will be doing a 25% change by this Wednesday. He does have a heater right under him (the other bettas share it with him since they're in one big tank with dividers.)

Quote:
The bottom pic does look like fin bitting to me. Did it happen in a short period of time? If so - probably nipping his fin.
In order to stop it, you need to figure out the cause of it. If he is bored - add a new plant or some people use place a ping pong ball in the tank. Did anything in his tank change - new decor, new neighbor, ect?
or he could be nipping simply because his fins are too heavy. If thats the case - not much you can do about it - other then keep the water clean.
I had a blue HM that just did not want the heavy fins, I guess. I had him in everything from a 1G up to a 10G and still he tore his fins to shreads.

For fungus- I used quick cure when sluggles had fungus. It's also treats ick as well. Does haru have a heater? and how often are water changes?
For a while, I used 1/4 distilled water mixed in with tap water with one of my bettas. Maybe that would help him?
It happened within about 2 hours. He was given new plants and a moss ball. He also has a treasure chest thing that he can hide in. I'm pretty sure it's because his fins are big since he can see Tapioca through the divider. (They don't flare too much at each other since they've gotten used to seeing one another) They seem like they weigh him down a bit, but I'm not sure. I hope it's just stress though :C his fins are beautiful.

Haru does have a heater, he gets a water change every other day. I have this quick cure. Do you think it'll work?

Last edited by faildog; 09-02-2012 at 10:15 PM.
faildog is offline   Reply With Quote