Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Hey it happened to me! Look at my tank now! Although I do have some algae lol.

Organic soil or soil from the yard where you haven't used fertilizer. So most houses with smaller backyards usually won't work, as most people fertilize for their lawns. A big property works, like OFL goes out on her forest and collects soil lol. Mad props for her though!
Yeah, she is my hero! LOL...Our yard is small but it is all natural...not even a true "lawn" so to speak, but still not sure about the content of our soil..we are so close to the ocean.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #12 
Turtle4353

We live near the woods. Taking soil seems a bit dodgy though, ours doesn't seem very fertile or something
Turtle4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle4353 View Post
We live near the woods. Taking soil seems a bit dodgy though, ours doesn't seem very fertile or something
Yeah, I hear ya there! I'm going to trade in the Earthgro potting soil I got for some Earthgro top soil..I have heard of quite a few people starting their tanks with this..we'll see how it goes.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #14 
Turtle4353

I'll get some potting soil *sigh*. Is a nice planted tank to much to ask?!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #15 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
I'll get some potting soil *sigh*. Is a nice planted tank to much to ask?!
The top soil I am getting is really cheap at Walmart and Home Depot...Yeah, I'm wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew too..but, I want to do this! LOL
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #16 
kfryman

Setup can be a pain, but after a month or so it gets easier as that is when water changes isn't as much. There are two main things you should always have with plants in my eyes, good substrate (soil, stratum, roottabs, flourite) and the right light. The second thing would be a good comprehensive fert. I am a major fan of Seachem products and one of the best liquid ferts would be Seachem Flourish.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #17 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Setup can be a pain, but after a month or so it gets easier as that is when water changes isn't as much. There are two main things you should always have with plants in my eyes, good substrate (soil, stratum, roottabs, flourite) and the right light. The second thing would be a good comprehensive fert. I am a major fan of Seachem products and one of the best liquid ferts would be Seachem Flourish.
I am going El Natural, so no ferts here...we'll see how it goes!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #18 
Turtle4353

El natural, sounds fun! El natural.... Sounds... Spanish? Lol. Kinda doing that not exactly
Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #19 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
El natural, sounds fun! El natural.... Sounds... Spanish? Lol. Kinda doing that not exactly
LOL...I am trying for a Diana Walstad tank...no chemical fertilizers...I'm still reading. I'm really hoping OFL can help me some. I'm scared lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #20 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
LOL...I am trying for a Diana Walstad tank...no chemical fertilizers...I'm still reading. I'm really hoping OFL can help me some. I'm scared lol.
I suggest reading her book and ignoring 99% of everything you read on forums. Her book is very informative and is often misinterpreted. I have not tried her method yet but I have researched it and read her book...I was simply amazed by the amount of people out there who claim to be using this method and they had everything wrong! Its like they got a list of things needed and then put it together how ever they wanted. You can safely use the organic choice potting mix...just get it wet and make a mud out of it,layer the bottom of the tank with it...add a little bit of pure clay or clay kitty litter here and there{just sprinkle it around}and then cap it with sand or other substrate....capping it, is very important. once you have your plants in there make sure you do not disturb them..if you up root the plants after they have established themselves into the soil you will have a huge mess.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote