Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #1 
lyra

Tail biting

Can anyone weigh in on what might be causing what seems to be pretty excessive tail biting?

I got a new half moon betta about a month ago. He came from a chain pet store - my previous betta had died, and my nephew missed him, so he & his mom picked up this new betta for me. He seemed to be in pretty good health when I got him; I kept his tank temperature at about 85F for the first 2 weeks that I had him as I'd heard that was a good thing to do for new fish that might be sick. He's in a 6 gallon marineland eclipse tank; lots of silk plants in the tank for him to swim around. I've been feeding him 3-4 pellets a day of Aquon betta food once a day and changing 3/4 the water in the tank every week. After the 2 weeks of warmer tank temps I've set his temp to about 82F.

In the last 3 days, he's starting chew his tail and his gorgeous full fins are almost gone! My previous betta would chew on his fins a bit as well, but never to this extent. argh! I'm worried that this is something I might have inadvertantly caused- lowering the water temperature 2 weeks ago? Am I not feeding him enough? Or should I just figure the fish is a dope and not stress over it?

Here he is before he started up his fins:

lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The water is about 3 degrees too high a little less food Betta toys might help. Other than that your care is good.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Keeping his water at about 80 would be sufficient. You might try rearranging his decor each time you change the water. IME tail biting is caused by a few things, tress, boredom, or neurotic bratfish who just like to taunt their owners.

Honestly if you keep his water clean, rearrange the decor periodically and feed him good food. There isn't much more you can do. Just keep him in clean water to prevent rot. I'm in the same boat as you. I had a halfmoon who decided he didn't like having a tail. He just bites and bites and tears it on everything. Then he grins at me as if to say "look what I can do ma!"
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Keeping his water at about 80 would be sufficient. You might try rearranging his decor each time you change the water. IME tail biting is caused by a few things, tress, boredom, or neurotic bratfish who just like to taunt their owners.

Honestly if you keep his water clean, rearrange the decor periodically and feed him good food. There isn't much more you can do. Just keep him in clean water to prevent rot. I'm in the same boat as you. I had a halfmoon who decided he didn't like having a tail. He just bites and bites and tears it on everything. Then he grins at me as if to say "look what I can do ma!"
78-80 is the ideal temp I keep mine in 80F and he has never beensick healthy active.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Sometimes HMs will feel that their tails are dragging thwm down and bite. Im not sure if that's what's happening however. How is the filter flow?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #6 
BettaQi

I agree with Aokashi--filter flow in those tanks is strong.

Try creating a baffle with a sponge or bottle.

One of my longest living bettas got terribly stressed when I put her in an eclipse andlooking back I think she wouod've lived longer had I had a much gentler filter.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote