Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 
JBosley

Perfect Tank for Plants?

Hey!
So I have a small 3 gallon planted tank, with a small LED light. I REALLY want to plant 2 more smaller tanks for my other boys Could someone link me to a tank at PETSMART (I'm in Canada ) that will have adequate lighting for low-medium lighting plants

The tank must come with a light, as it is near impossible to find good tank lights where I live, and I am on a tight budget....

Nothing larger than 5 gallons please!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Anarchis is good live plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

She's looking for TANKS ChoclateBetta. Not plants, I have a 3.5 gallon with LED lights. I'm not sure if it's strong enough, though. This is my tank, I'm still not sure if the lights are strong enough, though. :\
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #4 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Anarchis is good live plants.
I prefer potatoes.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #5 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
Hey!
So I have a small 3 gallon planted tank, with a small LED light. I REALLY want to plant 2 more smaller tanks for my other boys Could someone link me to a tank at PETSMART (I'm in Canada ) that will have adequate lighting for low-medium lighting plants

The tank must come with a light, as it is near impossible to find good tank lights where I live, and I am on a tight budget....

Nothing larger than 5 gallons please!
I like Aqueon mini bow tanks....they scratch pretty easily, just be careful and you'll be fine.
I also like the idea of just buying a small 2-3 gallon glass tank and adding you own stuff. A tank like that you can just buy a clamp on desk light and buy any bulb you want.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #6 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
I like Aqueon mini bow tanks....they scratch pretty easily, just be careful and you'll be fine.
I also like the idea of just buying a small 2-3 gallon glass tank and adding you own stuff. A tank like that you can just buy a clamp on desk light and buy any bulb you want.
+1 Buying your own tank and getting a desk light that has a 10 watt bulb over a 2.5 gallon will be moderate light, a 5 gallon with a 15 watt bulb would be low-moderate. You want the bulb to be around 20 inches from the substrate so you are not constantly fighting algae and it still keeps it at moderate light.

I don't recommend the Aqueon Mini bow because of the light placement and fikter placement, the light hovers over the filter creating algae and shade. Also the only place that plants will grow is the middle, cant put them on the left or right side.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #7 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
+1 Buying your own tank and getting a desk light that has a 10 watt bulb over a 2.5 gallon will be moderate light, a 5 gallon with a 15 watt bulb would be low-moderate. You want the bulb to be around 20 inches from the substrate so you are not constantly fighting algae and it still keeps it at moderate light.

I don't recommend the Aqueon Mini bow because of the light placement and fikter placement, the light hovers over the filter creating algae and shade. Also the only place that plants will grow is the middle, cant put them on the left or right side.
Hmmm this sounds like a great idea! Where abouts can you find clamp on desk lights? Walmart...?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #8 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
Hmmm this sounds like a great idea! Where abouts can you find clamp on desk lights? Walmart...?
I bought one at wal-mart for around $8..they have several colors to choose from. walk over to the hardware department and you can find all sorts of bulbs for it....just research what kinda bulb you'll need before you go buy one.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #9 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
I bought one at wal-mart for around $8..they have several colors to choose from. walk over to the hardware department and you can find all sorts of bulbs for it....just research what kinda bulb you'll need before you go buy one.
Yay! Thanks guys. Going to try and find a cheap tank on Kijiji or at Petsmart.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #10 
kfryman

I already had my desk light from a while ago, but you can find them at Walmart and maybe shopping stores. Some hardware stores have them as well. If you want to do low cost, I went to my local hardware store and got a 15watt GE 6500k bulb for $7, then you can get one of those heat lamps for reptiles at the hardware store (only difference is that instead of the reflector on the outside being black it is metal) that is like $7.50. I like the look of a desk light more though.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote