Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #51 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Given assassin snails are carnivorous, they shouldn't be added to a tank willy nilly without a constant food source. I refuse to add mine to the substrate because my bettas would scrounge around and eat any meaty food source. Apple and mystery snails are a good idea though. They eat algae and vegetable matter, they are messy I hear. Kind of large bioload..
*I assume the OP cannot even see what post I am referring??

I love the pic saidbyme :) Colorful! And I see your betta is a plakat. Would love for you to open another thread introducing yourself and pets!! (*unless you already did, in which case I apologize and will go look)
Assassin snails will scavenge food like flakes.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #52 
saidbyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Is the anubias planted in the gravel? If so, it shouldn't be. You have to tie it onto a rock or wood and the roots will take hold on that. They will not grow in gravel or sand.

D'oh! Thank you! yes, I had it planted in the gravel. Something else to change!
saidbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #53 
saidbyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Given assassin snails are carnivorous, they shouldn't be added to a tank willy nilly without a constant food source. I refuse to add mine to the substrate because my bettas would scrounge around and eat any meaty food source. Apple and mystery snails are a good idea though. They eat algae and vegetable matter, they are messy I hear. Kind of large bioload..
*I assume the OP cannot even see what post I am referring??

I love the pic saidbyme :) Colorful! And I see your betta is a plakat. Would love for you to open another thread introducing yourself and pets!! (*unless you already did, in which case I apologize and will go look)
Thank you! Is there anything specific I should watch for with Plakats? When we got her, she happened to be the only "male" wal-mart had. When we found out she was a she not a he, my son (6) was adamant that he needed a boy and by then, I liked her and had fun learning about her so we set him up with a boy tank in his room. There'd be reasons I haven't even mentioned that one ;)

We went from a 3 gallon to 2 5 gallons to a 10 and a 5.... all because of the stupid state fair
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #54 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I keep assassins and they are carnivores they eat flakes and snails if given the chance the tube they have i have seen them swallowing flakes and they have had no live food access they are healthy.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #55 
Silverfang

if you want something to clean up algae, nerites are a better option. Smaller bioload, much less poo than apples, max out at just under an inch, and they cannot reproduce in fresh water.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #56 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
if you want something to clean up algae, nerites are a better option. Smaller bioload, much less poo than apples, max out at just under an inch, and they cannot reproduce in fresh water.
I agree with you in a ten Otos or cories hiding spaces are important. Technically apple snails need two of opposite genders (unlike most snails which have one gender).

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 09-03-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #57 
saidbyme

So I think I am planning on doing aAny tips/tricks on making sure they get their food and betta gets hers? Is there a problem if she eats tetra food or they eat her food? She eats the Omega pellets, I'm assuming there is a tetra specific food. I tried Hikari and she spit them out every time.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #58 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by saidbyme View Post
So I think I am planning on doing aAny tips/tricks on making sure they get their food and betta gets hers? Is there a problem if she eats tetra food or they eat her food? She eats the Omega pellets, I'm assuming there is a tetra specific food. I tried Hikari and she spit them out every time.
New Life Spectrum pellets are supposed to be the best. My girls eat those PLUS Hikari Micro Pellets (I'm trying to use them up, I no longer have neons) and some of them pick at the sinking catfish wafers. Bettas are carnivores so anything plant based is not that nutritious for them.

Some people separate the betta to feed it. I have a feeder ring, maybe put one type of food there and the rest outside the ring?

Or feed the betta pellets first, then feed the other fish after.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #59 
saidbyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
New Life Spectrum pellets are supposed to be the best. My girls eat those PLUS Hikari Micro Pellets (I'm trying to use them up, I no longer have neons) and some of them pick at the sinking catfish wafers. Bettas are carnivores so anything plant based is not that nutritious for them.

Some people separate the betta to feed it. I have a feeder ring, maybe put one type of food there and the rest outside the ring?

Or feed the betta pellets first, then feed the other fish after.
Thank you!!

Oh and hillstream is moving to his new home today! I found a fish guy on Craigslist that I emailed and he has a tons of tanks and space and knew a TON bout hillstreams already so we are going to make the drive to meet and pass him to a better home.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #60 
xjenuhfur

Awesome! Your lucky you found someone so quickly. I love happy fish tales! :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote