Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #11 
Pitluvs

I'm another one of those who take home the sickest fish at the store, I don't rescue, I just buy the ones that need healing the most. If I want a Betta, I buy the worst off grey floating fish with no fins... and make him/her beautiful again. My first two Bettas were pet store healthy boys, but my third was a mess and I couldn't leave him behind. After getting help from the forum, he made a 100% recovery and lived a full year with us (my Hughie). From them on, it just made sense. If I'm going to buy Bettas, why not give the sick ones a proper home that can deal with their illness. The only other option was death at the store or going home with an inexperienced owner who would just kill them as well. So, that's what I do! Actually, I went to the store the other day for a marbled swordtail female and the employee tossed a healthy red/blue male Betta in the bag (he was in the swordtail tank being a meanie). When I noticed and asked him why, he said "Don't ya think it would be nice to take home a HEALTHY Betta for once. Donna? I think you should take him, and ENJOY him, not fix him" haha So now we have number 16, the first healthy Betta we've taken home since our first two over a year ago.

I would honestly love to write something up, but with all the water changes, managing a house with two small kids, our other pets and rescues/fosters.... just no time to sit and actually type stuff up.

Maybe it's the fact that I rescue/foster other types of animals?? Maybe that's why I always take the sick fish home. Have only lost two of our sick ones, poor Yuki and Sheldon.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

Not sure if this is really epic enough. You should see CandiceMM's thread and ask to use her story on her fish "heart breaker"

but this is toothbrush. When I bought him, I had two weeks left in Australia, before I left him in the 10g I set up in my uncle's house with some endlers. I cared for him in a .75g planted lunch box (literally) and had his tank heated. he was fed live mosquitoes every days. I knew I didn't have the time to rescue a more sickly looking fish, so I went for a depressed looking one who seemed healthy... body wise
Day one

Day 14

And this is Kuro, my juvenile. I left him in my friend's care for 6 weeks. During which he was starved accidentally...

But after two weeks pf proper care, he has almost returned to his former glory...

edit: forgot this part
Why I do it... I guess it just makes me happy to see a healthy fish. plus I pove taking photos of my fish. Ofcourse I want them to look good! Mu method is to provide my fish the most naturl environment possible, I'm so anti bacteria free fih environments. They need to be healthy inside and out. inside = immune system. as for the outside part. kuro love navigating the filter current and I leave it on the highest setting. I also let him flare as much as he wants. I also feed him more than I've fed any other betta because he uses more energy.

As for toothbrush, I've heard from my uncle that he's swimming with a school of 6 endlers and forever trying to eat them, but never quite being fast enough to grab his luxury meal.

Last edited by ao; 08-26-2012 at 02:15 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think rescuing can also be taking an animal out of a bad situation. They aren't necessarily sick but just not treated right. I got a betta from a neighbor who told me he's not made of gold and he could easily be replaced and she was not going to change the water in his half gallon vase more than once a month and if he couldn't deal with it too bad. She had me to fish sit for her 3 times and she acted like she didn't want him and I had to carry him back to her house twice. The 3rd time I decided to keep him. She told people that I acted like I didn't want to give him back so she decided to let me keep him! I would have gladly given him back to her if she wanted to take care of him properly but she didn't. He was the sweetest little guy and I'm so glad I kept him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #14 
misty1477

Way To Go, Dramaqueen !!!!
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thank you, Misty.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #16 
Bettanewbie60

I knew nothing about betta fish the day I brought Buddy home. I was walking around my local Walmart, picking up dog treats and doing all I could to keep from thinking about the skin cancer I had just had removed 10 days earlier. Waiting to hear back from the pathologist was so scary. As I walked through the pet section I saw all these little cups with a fish in them. I had never even seen/noticed them before. I took a closer look and saw something in them that spoke to my heart, and peaked my curiosity. I picked up a cup with this blue/red looking fish and decided to take him home...I bought a 1g tank kit and headed for checkout. I had no idea what a wonderful diversion I would find by taking this little guy home. As soon as I got home I looked up online how to care for him, got him set in his new home, which I would later upgrade...but for that first day, and most of the next, I was so busy making a better life for "Buddy Blue", that I had no time to sit and ponder the scary possibility of my own illness. Through all my research and reading, I found out so much about this incredible fish, and realized he was not is such good shape...here he is on the second day with me...the day I got the call that I was cancer free!
Name:  Buddy Blue.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  45.9 KB

And this is my Buddy Blue today...
Name:  008 (600x448).jpg
Views: 67
Size:  26.2 KB
Since I got him back in June, I have become so addicted to these fish..and I have always been a sucker for "the one no one will want". I don't look for the sickest, but the healthiest out of all the ones that will surely die on the shelf...I now have 6 of these wonderful creatures, and I am so glad that he rescued ME.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #17 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
...I now have 6 of these wonderful creatures, and I am so glad that he rescued ME.
Thank you for sharing that story of your two-way rescue! Glad you are OK and Buddy looks great too!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #18 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Thank you for sharing that story of your two-way rescue! Glad you are OK and Buddy looks great too!
Thank you so much..I love the term, "two-way rescue"..it really was.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #19 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1477 View Post

Way To Go, Dramaqueen !!!!
+1 absolutely DQ!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #20 
Creat

I used to rescue fish when I had time now I tend to get them given to me and no longer really go looking. The best advice I can give is to talk to OFL about natural methods. They are less, i guess the word would be, violent on a weak fish. Many times they have a hard time recovering and meds not only harm the disease, fungus, etc but can hurt the fish. I dont know where my old thread ran off too, but using natural methods after failing at medication ones I managed to keep a girl that had contracted dropsy alive for about a month. Ended up dying on a human error but the point is that I fully believe in healthy water is the first step to healthy fish. And many times a fish can recover on their own. Tannins are also something else I believe in, oak leaves are easy for me to find I swear its what kept the dropsy female alive she was swimming in dark tea lol. There used to be a thread on the best kind of oak leaves no idea where it went though. I think thats about all I can add best of luck on your blog and what not and yay to all that reacue!
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote