Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

No he lives in with the mother. With wilds you don't have to keep them separate so my fish spawn whenever they want. They get fed a diet that consists mostly of live and frozen food so they tend to always be in breeding condition.

These guys spawned the first day I got them. They are unsettled now since I moved their whole tank around and just did a massive water change so I won't expect them to spawn until they calm down and the male heals up.

I have a male holding eggs in another tank I am going to try and fish out so I can grow-out the fry. They tend to get eaten by the other pairs in there.

In prime breeding condition, my wilds are easily capable of spawning once a week. My rutilans used to do it like clockwork.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 AM   #22 
ao
TFK Moderator

Nice. are you going to spawn diff species anytime soon?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

My rutilans pair have started spawning again now their last offspring reached almost adulthood, and my brownorum pair have started spawning again after I had moved all their tank around.

Unfortunately, my tussyae female died and I only have two juveniles growing out, both of which look male. Then I'm also not sure if I have male/female pairs of burdigala and uberis. They are quite young and so haven't shown much interest in doing anything but squabbling yet.

My other wild species are all singletons so can't breed obviously.

I am trying to find a nice CT male for my CT female to have a shot at spawning once I sell off my barracks and move the goldies back downstairs. Then I am also getting some killifish eggs delivered next week so will be hopefully hatching and growing those out.

I breed more for myself than to sell so as long as I keep up stable breeding populations it's enough fish for me. Unfortunately, sex ratios tend to be quite skewed in the coccina complex and you end up with more males than females.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #24 
ao
TFK Moderator

must be a fascinating bedroom ;)

I know that some fish such as endlers's male:female fry ratio is dependant on the temperature. maybe this is could be the case...?

Aight Im off to bed. i swear my body is still wanting to operate in aussieland time :/
Old 08-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

Haha yeah I'm sure it has something to do with that. I keep mine at around 22-24 degrees.

It's quite a humid and sometimes smelly bedroom if I manage to spill loads of water on our poor abused carpet. But it is nice having them all in there.

You have to love different timezones.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

Thought I would update. The fry are all still doing well. The littlest ones have grown visibly since being in this separate tank and getting proper feedings twice a day. Haven't lost a single fry since I moved them there so that's good news.

Only a couple of the really tiny ones have any spotting and I can't see any visible signs of discomfort from the others. I just did a big water change and the temperature is still cranked right up.

Dad still has that thing under his chin so he is going to get a course of salt treatment just to add its healing. Him and mum are going into smaller quarters as they don't seem to like their bigger abode.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #27 
prodrumernate

thats good news :) sounds like they are making a recovery and are growing as healthy as can be.

i know 1 of my bettas doesnt like bigger tanks.always the 1 or 2 gallon they are happy in. :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #28 
ao
TFK Moderator

Yay! Im happy for your grandfishies :)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #29 
LittleBettaFish

Me too. They are looking really good now and I had to laugh when the two smallest were having a sparring match over in one corner. They are all starting to recognise me and are not shy in coming over. Couldn't see any real signs of ich so the high temperature and salt must be knocking it on its head.

Unfortunately, the male's chin looks really nasty this morning. So he is getting a short treatment of aquarium salt to see if it improves. It's so aggravating. I am going to see if the transhipper here has any pairs of persephone in quarantine at the moment so I can get another hopefully healthier adult male.