Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 
Jully

Exclamation Safe tank for betta? Need answers asap

So my mom is going to America today to buy some things, and she said "I'll get you a tank from here, it's much cheaper and they have much more then Canada." So I said "Okay" and I saw this tank online while I was going through the tanks and it's a 3 gallon like my other tank, anyways is the filter way to strong for the betta I will be getting?!?! It's the Whisper 3i filter...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-LED-...ndingMethod=rr

There having a deal on it, and this tank would normally be $50 - $130 in Canada when it's $29 dollars there, is the tank bad for a betta?

Questions:

Will the filter be too strong?

What kind of heater does it need?

Are the lights to strong for the betta?

Is this a bad tank for a betta?

I can't find much 5 gallons, there is only a few, so I might be getting a 3 gallon. I don't want my new betta I will be getting tomorrow uncomfortable, and be killed in seconds!
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 
lelei

The tank looks fine, I am not familiar with that type of tank, does it come with a filter, if not I would not even use one for a 3 gal, try an airstone, with a pump, or try to look for another tank with a filter made for that tank..I have 3-3gal tanks, none with filter, I think they are too small for filters..if you get the one you are referring to, you could baffle it with a sponge..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

A 3 gallon will be just fine. I'm not too familiar with filters so I can't answer that question. A 25 watt adjustable heater would work. I have one in one of my 2.5 gallon critter keepers. Bettas don't really need lights but as long as it's not too bright it should be fine. Good luck with everything.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 
Sapphoira

Do those have a lid? I'm not sure they do, which could be problematic but you could always make one from craft mesh or the like.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 
wombatgirl

One of my fish is in this tank. the filter's a little strong, but I've stuck some aquarium sponge in it to baffle, and it's working great. It does have a lid, and it's not a bad little tank.
wombatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #6 
Jupiter

The tank seems perfectly fine.

Even if the filter is too strong you could always remove or baffle it...so that's fine.

For heaters in small tanks, I use the tetra preset ones. I find they work pretty well and they're cheap.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #7 
Laki

Phht, I'm in Canada and I can get that tank!! granted, it would be close to or over a hundred dollars. Maybe USA is cheaper? Anyway, that tank looks good ! Congrats!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #8 
wombatgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Phht, I'm in Canada and I can get that tank!! granted, it would be close to or over a hundred dollars. Maybe USA is cheaper? Anyway, that tank looks good ! Congrats!

Seriously? $100?

it was $34 at WalMart when I got mine. I think they've come down a little since then too.
wombatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #9 
Laki

oh my gawd. I'm so tired I thought that was a fluval nano tank. Yes, my WM has that for like 33$. I haven't seen the 3g one yet though, saw the 1g.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #10 
Jupiter

I haven't even seen those at the Walmarts here...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad tank? new fish, limited time?