Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #1 
Rerram

Windex?

I know that I CANNOT put Windex into the tank. That would be bad. However, I was wondering if I could like spray a little on a papertowel to wipe down the outside of the tank. Opinions?
Rerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I occasionally do this when I want to get a photo of my tanks and the glass is streaky. I just don't wipe it anywhere near where it might come into contact with the water such as the lip of the tank.

Never had any issues with it, and as long as you spray it away from your tank and don't stick your hands in until you've washed them off it should be fine.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

I use windex after tank cleanings once a week, just spray it away from the lip and youre good to go :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can always use the Winded wipes instead of the spray stuff or else spray some on a paper towel then wipe off the tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I use a vinegar spray instead. It does the same thing and doesn't carry the risk of getting chemicals near my fish (or dogs when I use it to clean windows). I have a spray bottle with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. Works like a charm!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thanks for the idea of using a vinegar spray, Thekoimaiden. I might try that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #7 
kfryman

I use a "natural" glass cleaner, I just spray it on a paper towel, away from the tank, AMD wipe water spots off, then wipe it off afterwards. I may try the vinigar, I just hate vinigar.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #8 
katydidmischief

There are a lot of cleaners--natural and otherwise--on the market, and I can't see why you can't use a little on the outside of the tank as long as you stay away from any places where the water could contact. I use Method brand surface cleaner on mine when it gets too streaky on a paper towel. :)
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #9 
RoxieStClaire

I've been using vinegar to clean both the insides and outsides of bowls and tanks for years, and I've never had any problems with it yet (although if you do use it on the inside I still recommend rinsing it out real well with plain old water). Its a mild disinfectant, and gets rid of water spots to boot.

PS: Was I the only one who saw this thread's title and thought of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"?
RoxieStClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #10 
MsGita

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxieStClaire View Post

PS: Was I the only one who saw this thread's title and thought of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"?
haha I did. My grandmother in-law is like that with chloraseptic. She thinks it's a cure for EVERYTHING. She fell and cut her leg really bad, in the hospital she told the doctor "stop fussing and hand me my purse...I'll just spray my chloraseptic on it!" LOL
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote