Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #1 
Bettagirl101

Smile Is it weird that I talk to my betta fish?

So I currently own 2 male veil tail betta fish. One is in a 5 gallon in my bedroom the other is in a 1 gallon in the kitchen. I treat them like they are my children. I try to take the best care possible for them. Around christmas time I plan on buying a 2.5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow desktop aquarium kit. I will also be purchasing some treats for my babies. In addition I will also be buying decor for both fish tanks and gravel for the betta in the kitchen. (The one going into the 2.5 gallon) So I also like to play and talk to them. Is it weird that I talk to my betta fish?
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

No, it's not.
I'm known in my dorm for owning 3 bettas, and amongst my friends I'm known for being the only one who actually cares for them.

I talk to them all the time and call them my "boys" or my "babies." They've been helping with my high stress levels and I couldn't ask for anything better. Sometimes I can only imagine what they reply back to me with sometimes.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #3 
registereduser

I keep making kissy noises to them, like I do with the cats to get them to come to me
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

I talk to my fish all the time..not weird at all of ya ask me!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #5 
Bettagirl101

That's cool. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who does this. I just love my babies so much. :)
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #6 
xShainax

I talk to them and my plants
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

not at all, i say good morning and good night to mine every day, talk to them at feeding time, and let them know they're looking majestic every time i happen to see one of em flaring. sound travels much better underwater than it does through air, so i wouldn't be surprised to find that they can recognise and respond to your voice.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

I'm usually yelling at mine to either get away from the end of the siphon (which usually ends with me spraying water all over myself, the tanks below and the floor) or to get that food that is floating merrily past them as it sinks down to the bottom.

My brothers think I'm nuts, but then again, they are always shouting at the computer/tv screen. I figure at least I am not so deranged as to be talking to inanimate objects.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #9 
Frazzle

I verbally abuse mine to give my self an ego boost.
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #10 
Gale

I'm also guilty of talking to my betta from time to time, even after only 3 days of having the little guy. No full conversations ofcourse, but yeah. lol

I know he can tell when I'm talking to him, as he'll come to the front of the tank to greet me or atleast poke his head out of hiding and look my way.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, male, veil tail