Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #1 
nemolover

Is Gravel Neccessary?

Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase a Betta soon and I was wondering if it was important to have gravel in a tank. I was thinking about getting my fish first but I will probably get some gravel later for looks.

Thanks in advance!

-nemo
nemolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 
Gale

It isn't really a neccessity. I've seen a number of tanks with no substrate that fish seem to be happy in. You can put "toys" like small marbles at the bottom that they can move around easily on the glass.

It can be very beneficial by providing a more natural home for your pet though. My Betta loves to poke around the gravel and sand in my tank.

It will also help with beneficial bacteria cultivation if you are looking to cycle the tank and get a stable eco system going. That's somewhat dependant on the size of the tank though.

Either way, I'd make sure and provide the Betta with a hiding spot or two from the beginning so he/she always has a place to take a break and feel secure. A Zoo Med floating log has worked out perfectly for mine.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #3 
nemolover

Thanks a bunch, my tank is 2 gallons. I am looking for some real plants eventually, so I think I will just get the plants and gravel set up before I get my Betta, that way he will be excited about a nice home to move in to :)
nemolover is offline   Reply With Quote