Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #1 
rebobinar

Question Can I make a 1.5 gallon tank work?

Or do I just need a new tank?
I posted in another thread about how my daughter's fish died after 5 days. He looked absolutely fine - swam a lot and was alert, and then in the morning was dead.
I have a thermometer in the tank (no fish now - just water and ornaments) to see if it stays warm enough over a week's period. Temperature is the only potential problem I can think of, other than just maybe having a sick fish.
The pet store said we wouldn't need a heater, and I really can't find a reliable heater for that size tank right now. I've been reading reviews and all the smaller heaters seem to cause problems eventually.
So I'm wondering if I just need a larger tank in order to keep the fish happy?

I'm a little confused!
Thanks!
Robin
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #2 
MSG

That tank you're referring to must be a tetra wonders 1.5G. I have 2 of them, but I don't recommend them for a betta unless you have all the other accessories.

It would be okay to use one of these tanks for a baby betta, but once they get larger than 1.5" I would move them to a larger tank at least 2.5G-3G

Tetra does make a 3G Wonders Tank, but I have yet to see one in person.

Either the 5.5G or a TopFin 10 Gallon kit would be a better option in the long run, especially if you ever want to add a shrimp or snails.

A good quality ADJUSTABLE heater would be another essential piece of equipment to keeping a betta alive and healthy during the winter months.

I'm about to start using heaters this week or next week because temperature in the tanks are starting to go below 75 degrees.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #3 
Gale

If funds aren't a problem, I think that would probably be the best solution. More space is always a plus. Personally, the absolute smallest tank I would put a betta in (aside from maybe a quarantine or temporary tank) is 3 gallons.

Walmart currently has a 5 gallon Tetra starter kit, and a 10 gallon Aquaculture starter kit, both for under $40. They would both give plenty of space. Neither includes a heater, however. Petsmart is currently having a sale on aquariums if there is one nearby.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #4 
xShainax

I have 3 of my betta's in one gallons and I use aqueon 10W for them
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #5 
rebobinar

It is the Tetra Wonders tank.
What sort of accessories are you talking about that I'd need for it?
I saw a 10 gallon tank on sale for $20 at the grocery store today, which seemed pretty good, but space is kind of an issue. And that seemed like a big tank for one fish, especially if I get more than one (all three kids want a betta fish).
I'll check out those 5 gallon starter kits. I did see a nice looking 3 gallon tank with LED lighting... but then again I'm concerned about the adjustable heater. I feel like I need a bigger tank to get a heater that would work.
Good to know about the sale at PetSmart. I'm annoyed with them, because I bought all this there and asked a ton of questions, and kind of feel like I just need to start over now. But I should probably just get over that. ;)
xShainix - have you had any problems with your little heaters? I've seen varied reviews on those...
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #6 
xShainax

Not really, no
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #7 
Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebobinar View Post
Good to know about the sale at PetSmart. I'm annoyed with them, because I bought all this there and asked a ton of questions, and kind of feel like I just need to start over now. But I should probably just get over that. ;)
I hear you. With a few upstanding exceptions, and other than asking for the location of something I'm looking for in store, I've quickly learned to avoid advice from big chain pet store employees. I do the same thing at Best Buy
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

look for an adjustable 25w. those usually heats well. even in a 1g
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #9 
katydidmischief

If you can get your hands on some Kritter Keepers, the Large size is 3 gallons and I had my boy in there at the start. I was able to put a hydor slim heater in there and a tetra whisper 3i.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #10 
MSG

If all 3 of your kids want a betta, you could just get a 10G from walmart and divide it 3 ways.

Having a bunch of smaller tanks I think will cause problems when it gets colder and it's more work in the long run.

By having 1 tank with 3 fish, if one of your kids loses interest hopefully one of the other 2 will still keep up with the maintenance.

That way you can keep the fish tank in the living room & use the tank light for a evening light when you get home.

Just get a automatic timer and leave the light on from 7pm-2am.

The tetra wonders 1.5G tank can be used as a hospital tank or qt tank.

• Highly recommend the 10G as an option for 3 bettas.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote