Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #1 
nemolover

Question 2 gallon companions?

Are there any possible companions to a male Betta in a 2 gallon tank or would it be too small? I am trying to plan my setup, maybe snails would work or something?

Thank you!
nemolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemolover View Post
Are there any possible companions to a male Betta in a 2 gallon tank or would it be too small? I am trying to plan my setup, maybe snails would work or something?

Thank you!
Sorry, but it is really too small to add anything else, the bio load would be too great to keep the water safe.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #3 
DragonFish

+1
Minimum tank size for tank-mates of any sort would be a filtered and cycled 5 gallon, and the minimum size for any actual fish tank-mates is a filtered and cycled 10 gallon.

2 gallons is a wonderful size for a single male betta though. :) He'll love it. And don't worry about him getting lonely, they're naturally solitary fish. And besides, he has you to people-watch. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
+1
Minimum tank size for tank-mates of any sort would be a filtered and cycled 5 gallon, and the minimum size for any actual fish tank-mates is a filtered and cycled 10 gallon.

2 gallons is a wonderful size for a single male betta though. :) He'll love it. And don't worry about him getting lonely, they're naturally solitary fish. And besides, he has you to people-watch. ;)
+1 absolutely fine for him...
Old 09-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #5 
nemolover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
+1

Thank you for your help! I guess I will have to wait for a bigger tank to get him some buddies , but I think he will like his home anyway
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #6 
DragonFish

You're very welcome, glad to help. :) Best of luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemolover View Post
Thank you for your help! I guess I will have to wait for a bigger tank to get him some buddies , but I think he will like his home anyway
I'm sure with clean, warm water, good food, and your company and care..he will be very happy!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #8 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
You might be better off anyway. I had platies for my betta tank mates and they ended up being more trouble than they were worth (in my situation, that is). In my opinion if you don't have really big tanks. . . a lot of fish are going to seem like they poop WAY more than your betta and the upkeep is a lot more than just a nice betta.

Although I guess you might be talking about some kind of algae eaters or shrimp to clean the tank? Still .. . I am happier with the tanks I have that only have a betta. For newbies like me, anyway. There is enough to learn about bettas, water conditions, cycling, food, water testing, ph levels .. . filters .. . lighting .. . betta diseases . ..

trust me . ..it's easy to get in over your head. Get a bigger tank for your betta and have it the way you want before you add tankmates. Not to mention that if you get some tankmates that breed easily you will have a whole other issue on your hands. :)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #9 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
Not to mention that if you get some tankmates that breed easily you will have a whole other issue on your hands. :)
Or rather some fresh ready snack for the betta.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #10 
nemolover

Yeah I will have a heater and filter in the tank. And you are right, it is probably better anyone to just have the Betta, given that this is my first fish. I am excited though!