Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #11 
crowntaillove

Here is my update on Hank and Penny.

I put Penny in Hank's tank two day's ago. Hank was the perfect gentleman. He let Penny explore the new tank while not bothering her too much. Eventually he started swimming about an inch away from her and started flaring, then turning sideways to her (it seemed as though he was trying his best not to intimidate her) and doing his wiggly dance. Sometimes Penny would watch him and other times she would dart away and hide. Hank would never chase her though, he would just try again a minute or two later. I left them together over night with the lights off and every time I checked on them, Hank was keeping a respectable distance.

Yesterday I was going to be gone for the whole day and I got nervous that something might go wrong, so I put Penny in her own tank where they could still see each other. Today I've noticed that Penny's colors have never been more vibrant, I really didn't know she was that beautiful! And her egg sack has gotten larger, so I put them back in together a few minutes ago.

Hank is still as gentlemanly as before, but he's taken more notice in his bubble wrap "nest" that he was too lazy to build. I've been reading that her darting away from him is like fishy foreplay, so I'm a bit more confidant in them.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #12 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaaa11 View Post
Here is my update on Hank and Penny.

I put Penny in Hank's tank two day's ago. Hank was the perfect gentleman. He let Penny explore the new tank while not bothering her too much. Eventually he started swimming about an inch away from her and started flaring, then turning sideways to her (it seemed as though he was trying his best not to intimidate her) and doing his wiggly dance. Sometimes Penny would watch him and other times she would dart away and hide. Hank would never chase her though, he would just try again a minute or two later. I left them together over night with the lights off and every time I checked on them, Hank was keeping a respectable distance.

Yesterday I was going to be gone for the whole day and I got nervous that something might go wrong, so I put Penny in her own tank where they could still see each other. Today I've noticed that Penny's colors have never been more vibrant, I really didn't know she was that beautiful! And her egg sack has gotten larger, so I put them back in together a few minutes ago.

Hank is still as gentlemanly as before, but he's taken more notice in his bubble wrap "nest" that he was too lazy to build. I've been reading that her darting away from him is like fishy foreplay, so I'm a bit more confidant in them.
Your description of Hank and Penny's little 'mating' ritual is so sweet.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #13 
babystarz

Do you know if he's tried to blow bubbles at all? If so, letting dust particles into the tank could increase the water viscosity and therefore let bubbles stick around longer. Maybe that would encourage him to keep going.

If he's not blowing any bubbles whatsoever, I'm not sure what to suggest besides what you've already been doing.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #14 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1477 View Post
Your description of Hank and Penny's little 'mating' ritual is so sweet.
Haha, thank you. Sometimes I wonder if I'm too obsessed with watching them.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #15 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Do you know if he's tried to blow bubbles at all? If so, letting dust particles into the tank could increase the water viscosity and therefore let bubbles stick around longer. Maybe that would encourage him to keep going.

If he's not blowing any bubbles whatsoever, I'm not sure what to suggest besides what you've already been doing.
He hasn't tried blowing bubbles at all. I even tried taking out the bubble wrap because I thought maybe he thought he had already blown a nest. I put it back in though, and I'm hoping he'll decide to blow one if those two ever decide to spawn. Haha.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #16 
tpocicat

Ever since I had a male that never blew a bubble nest but had a nice spawn, I don't worry about bubble nests anymore.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote